BCS 460 from Embedded Control concepts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SHvanBommel

Reaction score
I'm planning an all electric single tier with this as the central controller. Has anyone had any experience with it?

I'm still in the planning stages, I got mine last week.

Check out the forum on the product's website for specific answers.

Slnies was the beta tester here.

Here was the second draft of my plan. It has changed slightly since. I added a float switch to control a fly sparge and was thinking of adding a momentary to switch between states.

BCSDraft-1.png

thats awesome, is this for a 110 oh.... nm... i was blinded by the pretty colors, i was considering a self contained mlt with its own heat source and pump (RIMS) and 240 wiggly wom (big ass heating element (5500w 240v etc. etc.) for boil kettle and do a mirror of the mlt for the hlt except use the maine pump (so a two pump system)

thats awesome, is this for a 110 oh.... nm... i was blinded by the pretty colors, i was considering a self contained mlt with its own heat source and pump (RIMS) and 240 wiggly wom (big ass heating element (5500w 240v etc. etc.) for boil kettle and do a mirror of the mlt for the hlt except use the maine pump (so a two pump system)

We're talking about an almost identical setup. You have PMs.

and I forgot to say how impressed I was with your work! Brewers such as yourselves make my life much easier when you share your talents. I need all the help I can get!

Let me know if you need anything changed. I'm recreating the doc right now and like any input that people would like to add/subtract. I want a simple solution.

I will also be creating a diagram with part placement (non-electric) so people can see where I'm planning on putting everything.

I think this is a cool product.....but damn....it sure doesn't LOOK exciting. I wish they'd make it in neon green like my iPOD.....oh....and I want to be able to set it to turn on the tv whenever the Jonas Brothers come on......:D

sorry they only have the family guy implementation.. .no jonas brothers... i think i will turn the unit on this weekend, through the intarweb we have been collaborating and it will be interesting to see how our individual projects size up... i'm not sure baout slimers space constrains but an all electric brew cart with the 10 gal capability plus BCS will be a killer anywhere... now if only i could figure out how to slide my stove out from its nook and get at the 240V plug... ;)
S

oh and pictures (not from mspaint) to follow :)

I've brewed with mine once, just using it for temp monitoring. Next run I'll let it control my pumps. Slick little box.

sorry they only have the family guy implementation.. .no jonas brothers... i think i will turn the unit on this weekend, through the intarweb we have been collaborating and it will be interesting to see how our individual projects size up... i'm not sure baout slimers space constrains but an all electric brew cart with the 10 gal capability plus BCS will be a killer anywhere... now if only i could figure out how to slide my stove out from its nook and get at the 240V plug... ;)
S

oh and pictures (not from mspaint) to follow :)

I have enough space, it's the wife noticing how much space that it takes up that's the problem.

hahahaha... I mad ethe executive decision and got rid of the war council erhm... wife... so now i have much less room but i only have to debate with myself... "one pump or three... i think i'll go with three" ;)

Rcrabb - Thank you. I hope that what we do and document here will inspire you to create something beautiful and with a purpose... (beer) Cheers!

Right so, This is the initial frame for the new Brewery to be controlled by the BCS, more pics to follow.
Brewery_V1.jpg

This shall be made with 1 1/2" angle iron, the step if for the ekeggle, underneath it will fit the CFC, to the left will be the eHLT, on top will be the eMLT... more pictures as i finish the models to follow

Breweryv1_w:comp.jpg

the coil is actually the cfc, the eHLT and eMLT will actually be coolers but i could find any on sketchup and i'm horrible at component setup...
Comments welcome

My First post here... thanks Adam!!

Not to hijack, but I am also a BCS user and love IT!!!! Done about 4 brew sessions on it, works like clockwork.

Here is some pictures of my build... Here

I put a 12" touchscreen on mine, fun stuff.

cyber - thanks i'll check
Rabeb! welcome, yeah i've been lookin' att your setup, very ingenious, if it werent that mine is going to be cark mounted i would consider something very similar.

Slimer, forgive my ignorance, but what is the WRT540 in your diagram? What is its purpose?

The WRT54G is a wireless router flashed with WRT54G firmware to provide a client-side access point. An external ethernet plug would provide the same functionality, but the computer/display would have to be wired. I have a few extra access points that I would tinker around with to try to get it functional with the system.

Well, you don't have to connect your computer if you have the BCS connected to the wireless access point.

You can find it on your network through the IP address.

Still working on it. I have no clue about parts for terminal distribution blocks, connectors, etc. Here's draft version 2.

bcsv2.jpg

Microsoft Visio

Just picked up 4 40A SSR's from fleabay Friday. I need one more SSR and then it's time to start collecting fittings.

I haven't done a ton of reading on this system so far, but could this be used for a gas system as well? Is there simple on/off settings or is this more like a PID? I haven't seen anyone interested in using this system for gas.

I use it for gas. Right now the plan is to turn pumps on and off with a pair of SSRs and later add solenoid gas valves to turn burners on and off. Easily done with the BCS.

Very good to hear that! Thats pretty much what I'm planning... Now I need to find a mini-pc and touch screen system...

Back