I am in love....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fat x nub

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My new favorite beer...Newcastle. There is just something I love about this beer. I know it doesn't have good head but i don't care. It tastes so good i can't get enough. I have already picked a clone that I am going to brew so i can have 5 gallons!! What do you guys think about it?

I think it's meh. If there isn't any other good beer available, I'll order one. It's definitely not the best example of a brown ale in my opinion.

I made an English Brown ale as my second ever batch, and it closely approximated Newcastle. It was well liked by my friends.

It's the best thing served at the bowling alley on league night. :)

I'd be left with the choices of Bud, Bud Light, or Corona if not for Newcastle.

But I don't drink it anywhere else.

Of course, you like what you like; nothing wrong with that.

I'm conflicted about newcastle because as a brown ale I find it a bit weak and watery, but I'm a pretty "brew-to-style" kind of guy.

I find that I don't dislike the beer itself, it just fails to impress as a brown ale.

It is what I'll get from time to time. It is a good alternative to what I'll typically find on tap and widely available, so I don't mind drinking it. I think you can make five gallons of brown ale and have it come out much better. It sounds like you have a brown ale brew day calling your name.

I'm conflicted about newcastle because as a brown ale I find it a bit weak and watery, but I'm a pretty "brew-to-style" kind of guy.

I find that I don't dislike the beer itself, it just fails to impress as a brown ale.

I'll second that... Before I tried it I had heard a lot of hype about how great it was. When I gave it a go I was disappointed at how thin it was and it didn't have much flavour. It's not a bad beer per se, but it's not something I would get again... I guess I'm just used to brown's with a bit more body and taste.

Alesmith in SD makes one of the best brown ales in the world, and I'm happy to drink it. I think Newcastle is weak and not really anything impressive at all. I used to drink it, but I won't bother now.

Sitting on a balcony, overlooking Trump National golf course in LA, with the Pacific Ocean 200 meters away, sipping Newcastle out of a can while watching the sun set over the ocean....

I really enjoyed it then.

We could probably all pick out a better brown ale comapred to Newcastle. But I do enjoy it. Is it the best, no. Is it the worst, no.

It's widely available and better than alot of crap available. I drink it and enjoy if if there is nothing better.
Plus if the pub I'm in is a dive I wouldn't want to drink enything from the taps.

I have been having a love affair with Tillburg's Dutch Brown. Maybe it's not an actual brown ale by the style guides but there is just something about it that wets my whistle.

I have to say at one point in my life I was obsessed, and i know where you're coming from. It was one of the first "good" beers i fell in love with, i thought it tasted just like brown sugar! I still get it often because, like someone else said, many times its the nicest beer on the menu.

I have been having a love affair with Tillburg's Dutch Brown. Maybe it's not an actual brown ale by the style guides but there is just something about it that wets my whistle.

Tillburgs is pretty good, but I can't have too many of them, it's too sweet.

The same company brews Bavaria, which happens to be my favorite beer if I'm looking to get smashed. Unfortunately, it's super expensive out here. I used to get it for $8/12 pack in the south.

Latest posts

Back