Christmas brewday demonstration for family question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brkoerner

Reaction score
ok I would like some help from yall on deciding on what to brew to show my family how to brew. Thinking bout doing this when my family gets together for X-mas.

I can do 5 gal AG, 3 gal BIAB, or 5 gal extract (would prefer one of the AG)

Some styles I'm currently thinking bout are: Nut Brown, some version of a Stout, Porter, Irish Red, or Scottish Shilling

I'm mainly looking on thoughts on those styles, recommendations on other styles as well as recipes

If you've got time, whatever you do I would brew up a batch of your demonstration brew now, so people can drink it while you are making it.

^This, brew up a batch prior to Christmas so they can enjoy it while they watch/help you brew. I would suggest going with an extract if you want others to learn how to brew on their own. It's the most accessible and simple for newbies to the hobby to use extracts in the brew pot.

If you want to show off your skills, then go AG. The equipment investment and the greater attention to detail needed for AG might turn a few beginners off from homebrewing if they think it's a little too complex. Even though it isn't that much more complex, it can appear that way to newbies.

If you've got time, whatever you do I would brew up a batch of your demonstration brew now, so people can drink it while you are making it.

thought about doing something like this. I have a pumpkin spice ale or a porter that I could do this with. But I was also kind of wanting to brew something else.

Also a thought I had was to come up with a couple styles and get a commercial example of it to let them taste and decide which they would prefer to how a similar beer is brewed.

Back