Bubbles in Secondary??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alamo_Beer

Reaction score
Hey I've got a quick question: I used a little more than a pound of honey in my pale ale and 4wks later it's still bubbling.....not very fast though just about 1 bubble every 2min or so

It's so slow in fact that I thought it had been done for weeks now! I was just letting it bulk age a bit bc I don't have enough bottles on hand

So my question after all of this lead in is about how long does it take for about a pound of honey to ferment?

Is it the honey or could it maybe be an infection? (which I think is unlikely)

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Maybe this shouldn't be in the recipe/ingredients section like I originally thought....mods move if you must

Honey seems to take forever to ferment, at least in my experience. The only way to tell for sure is to take a s.g. and see where you're at. It could just be some co2 degassing, or it can still be fermenting a bit.

Yooper Chick said:
Honey seems to take forever to ferment, at least in my experience. The only way to tell for sure is to take a s.g. and see where you're at. It could just be some co2 degassing, or it can still be fermenting a bit.
Right-o.

Nothing replaces a hydrometer reading for determining your stage of fermentation. Ya don't want to wait till christmas to bottle, but you don't want gushers either.

yeah I should really get one of those things huh?? they're only like $6 at the hbs here....

I made this same recipe before but it had higher ibu's (up to 45 IIRC) and I added strawberrys to it...I bottled it on 4/10..I had one a few days ago and it was pretty tasty but there are some "floaties" in the bottle...Could be strawberry seeds or maybe it's the honey & priming sugar still fermenting

Thanks for your help

Do you guys have any sorta time frame for honey?

Back