Blow over tube question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cyfan964

Reaction score
If I use a blow over tube out of my carboy for primary fermentation do I need to put the end of the tube in water to not allow air to reach the beer or does the carbon dioxide leaving the beer keep air from reaching it. I realize that I can take out the tube and just use an airlock when the fermentation is nearly complete.

The best thing that you can do is to put your blowoff tube into a glass container ( I use a big mason jar ) with a little bit of bleach and water to about half full. Why ? If you have a rapid ferment and the co2 production stops you could have a contamination problem . Just my 2 cents

I side with sir Visey ..... i use a 5 gal primary. and the blow-off tube I use it ....1 inch ..O.D.? give or take...buuuuuttttt. I rap the very end, like the last 1/4 inch teflon tape ( like what plumers use) and it fits really tight in my carboy! ( I am not sure what a 6.5 gal. carboy would use) anyways the tube sould be just inside the neck of the bottle!

See you at the Bottem!

sorry read it wrong... the end not in the beer needs to be in some kind of water to keep "bad" air out!

I wouldn't put the end in bleach water, though- just some sanitizer and water in the proper dilution. Just in case it gets accidently sucked back up into the beer (don't bother to ask me how I know- :drunk: )

Back