Pressure cooker and beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IceFisherChris

Reaction score
Has anyone tested the effects of using a pressure cooker for beer brewing?
For instance, boiling your beer at 240 degrees (or whatever they run) to test for different hop utilization, flavors, etc. I'm not really interested in trying any of this, but I am just curious if anyone has ever experimented with using the higher temps of a pressure cooker.

I know about sanitation of equipment so that is insignificant to this thread.

Coincidentally I have just made a Young's Special using a pressure cooker for boiling the hops. My motivation was to try and reduce the energy consumption of my brewing. I pressure cooked the hops for 40 minutes instead of the usual 90. It looked and tasted good afterwards, but I'll try to remember to update this thread when I've tried the finished product.

Fingers crossed!

This is very interesting, I have never thought of this...I guess you would only really be able to do bittering additions under pressure.

If this did work it might be interesting to pressure cook a bittering addition for 30 minutes and then relieve pressure and remove the top to proceed with a 60 minute boil, a kind of supercharged 90 minute hop schedule.

I am wondering if the temperature would bring out any undesireable compounds from the wort though.

It seems like you may have an issue with DMS brewing with the lid on at a high pressure. If you are using light grains like Pilsner, a 60 minute boil isn't really sufficient to drive off DMS anyways, so a 40 minute boil certainly wouldn't do it. Also boiling with the lid on allows the steam that you are creating to collect on the lid and recirculate into the boiling wort. This condensation contains DMS and its precursors which are not particularly good for your beer and would, I believe lend a sulfur quality to your brew.

But then there are some who say that issues with DMS are just way to overplayed and the homebrewer shouldn't be worried about it. I would just take issue with the lid being on.

DMS wouldnt' be a problem if using extract But if all grain, a longer boil and uncovered pot would promote better beer.

NO!

Pressure cookers work by building up pressure and letting steam out of a safety overflow valve. Hi protein/sugar content foods (like beer) can foam up, clog the output and cause ther pressure cooker to explode in a million pieces of shrapnel.

Bad news, trust me.

Thanks for the safety concerns - very well worth taking on board. Pressure cookers are scary things when you think about them.

I don't think the high sugar/protein is an issue in my case. I tend to do late addition DME brews so only add a very small amount of malt (3-4 tablespoonfuls in ~3 litres of water which I have heard helps with hop utilization) by the time I am pressure cooking the hops.

I agree that for those boiling thicker brews, a pressure cooker should definitely NOT be used.

Eh. Pressure cookers these days have multiple safety valves and interlocks to make sure you don't open them prematurely. I doubt very much that a homebrewer could make one explode. I still think DMS would be a concern, though.

I have been thinking / wondering about a pressure cooker for mashing. Wonder what, if anything positive or negative, a pressure cooker would do for the mashing process.

Using a pressure boiler effects the speed of the chemical/physical reaction by increasing the boiling point of the liquid inside it. A higher temperature means (usually a faster reaction). I have used it for what I presume to be an isomerizing reaction - conversion of alpha to beta acids with a fair bit of success - it has cut down my brewing time significantly on extract brews in which the hop boil has the longest duration. (I keep meaning to add my process to this page)

Enzymes require a relatively narrow temperature range to work optimally. Because mashing uses the enzymes present in the grain, it has to be carried out under controlled temperature conditions e.g. between 63-68 deg centigrade. So in this case, I don't think a pressure cooker would be helpful for speeding up the mash and in fact would render the mash useless due to the higher temperatures involved.

This is all off the top of my head, so I could well be wrong. Let us know if you find anything else out.

Using a pressure boiler effects the speed of the chemical/physical reaction by increasing the boiling point of the liquid inside it. A higher temperature means (usually a faster reaction). I have used it for what I presume to be an isomerizing reaction - conversion of alpha to beta acids with a fair bit of success - it has cut down my brewing time significantly on extract brews in which the hop boil has the longest duration. (I keep meaning to add my process to this page)

Enzymes require a relatively narrow temperature range to work optimally. Because mashing uses the enzymes present in the grain, it has to be carried out under controlled temperature conditions e.g. between 63-68 deg centigrade. So in this case, I don't think a pressure cooker would be helpful for speeding up the mash and in fact would render the mash useless due to the higher temperatures involved.

This is all off the top of my head, so I could well be wrong. Let us know if you find anything else out.

I doubt that it would do anything, as you're looking for a specific temperature in mashing. You can speed up mashing by testing for conversion at say....25 minutes instead of an hour. If you have it then you can continue with the process.

As for boiling under pressures other than atmospheric, I've actually done some looking into this. Here is a link to an abstract of a paper that's relevant (you might be able to access the full text through a university like I can): http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/jf0481296

The meat of what you want to know is this (quoted from the article):
The results obtained indicate that the rate of isomerization roughly doubled for every 10 °C increase in temperature (average change was 229% per 10 °C increase). Isomerization of cohumulone to isocohumulone proceeded at a rate equivalent to that of humulone and adhumulone. High temperatures quickly led to degradation products, as evidenced in the dramatic decrease of iso-alpha acid concentration beyond 18 min of heating at 130 °C. While the rate of isomerization slowed at temperatures below 100 °C, substantial amounts of iso-alpha acids were still produced at 90 °C. This is significant if hot wort is held at temperatures just below boiling after the kettle boil is completed, while in the whirlpool, or awaiting transfer to a heat exchanger.

I literally JUST walked in from lunch hour and I bought a 6.5 QT pressure cooker on a closeout sale for $35 bucks.

I want to do kitchen stovetop, 1 gallon batch Brew In a Bag all grain. Keep the top off for the entire brewing process because of DME, but once it's cooled and yeast pitched, wanna see how it works out to close it and sit it down on the basement floor see if I just bought a cheap unitank to simultaneously ferment and carbonate a gallon of beer. I could stick the entire cooker in the freezer for a half hour or so to quickly 'cold crash' it and then stick it in the fridge for a day before racking to half gallon growlers.

According to the inserts, it has 13 PSI blowoff..so..not perfect but then again neither is the entire stovetop process I'm experimenting with..but will be interesting to see what happens.

I used a pressure cooker to boil hops recently when it was too cold in my garage (20 degrees) to get 11 gallons of wort to a boil. (This was soft of an emergency as I had already mashed and just couldn't get a boil.) I used the usual amount of hops and pressure cooked for about 35 minutes. I rinsed the cooked hops using a small amount of wort that I heated separately. I boiled the finishing hops separately in about 2 gallons of wort.

I did worry about too much pressure, so I kept the boil low and made sure that pressure was being relieved. If it looked clogged I was prepared to take it of the heat, but that didn't happen.

Just tapped the keg this weekend after about 8 weeks of aging. It tastes great. I'll play with this again as it was a good energy and time saver.

I know this is an old thread.

I forgot my 30 minute hop addition in my brown. I'm pressure cooking wort tomorrow for my starters so thought I would throw in a jar of brown with hops in it. Because of the pressure I'm wondering if it will maintain flavor and aroma or just be a bittering hop.

Back