Fruit beer using frozen fruit concentrate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cell

Reaction score
Has anyone used frozen concentrated juice (example: Fruitopia or 5-alive 355ml can) with successful results for making a fruit beer?

never tried it .. just be extremely sure the concentrate dose not have preservatives in it. if it dose you will not get any fermentation what so ever. Also make sure to add some pectic enzyme or the beer will not clear.

Citrus doesn't generally ferment very well, nor vary tasty. It's actually pretty darn nasty!

I do use frozen fruit juice concentrate in my apfelwein recipe. I either add additional apple to a batch, or will add cranberry or cherry to a finished existing batch both to sweeten and provide some adjunct flavor. This is either in conjunction with wine conditioner (which stops the fermentation), or on its own - which means that the added sugars will eventually ferment out, leaving the apfelwein just as tart as before.

I just did an apple ale that used cider in the secondary, but it still did not have the apple I was looking for. I ended up with 4oz of apple extract and 1 can of frozen apple concentrate in the keg. I also put 1/2 tsp of citric acid. This beer turned out awesome and is very close to the apple ale from New Glarus. The only thing is I forgot to put in pectic enzyme for the juice in the secondary, so it is a little cloudy. No worries though, and tastes awesome.

Back