My New Fermentation/Bottle Conditioning Area?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThreeTaps

Reaction score
Hi all,

So I'd like to move my fermentation and bottle conditioning area from the second bathroom to the garage. The good thing is I have this great closet area that will fit probably 4 buckets / carboys, as well as a top shelf for all the bottles. I can also do whatever I want to the inside, such as add shelves, etc. In the pic you'll notice I have a window A/C unit that works great, which I'd like to incorporate somehow to alleviate using frozen bottles in a water bath to keep temps down.

I welcome any and all ideas on the most beneficial way to use this space, and how best to incorporate the A/C unit.

IMG00099-20090917-1649.jpg

This is something I did in 20 seconds, a very crude portrayal of what I was thinking. The A and B are both possible positions of the A/C unit. A is where the unit would sit on top of the cabinet, and pass the cold air down through a hole in the top. My only concern about this is that the top will be hotter than the bottom, and I don't want it being 68F up top while it's 58F at the bottom...unless I somehow move the temperature sensor of the A/C down to the bottom. B is where the A/C unit would be at ground level.

I could also just take off both doors and make something custom where underneath the new shelf (in blue) could be a contained chamber with side swinging doors and the A/C unit on top of the shelf, passing cold air down through a hole that's like a duct. Above would be side swinging doors too. That area would be for room temperature bottle conditioning.

I just don't know!

cabinet.jpg

I'd put the AC on top, either as depicted in your picture, or sticking through the side and resting on that top shelf.

Cool air falls, so you want to put cool air in the top of the chamber, and put your thermostat somewhere in the middle of the chamber. You'll want a temp controller to run the AC unit, (LOVE controllers can be had for 60 bucks, or there's Ranco or Johnson...), so you can accurately control the temperature.

I'd put the AC on top, either as depicted in your picture, or sticking through the side and resting on that top shelf.

Cool air falls, so you want to put cool air in the top of the chamber, and put your thermostat somewhere in the middle of the chamber. You'll want a temp controller to run the AC unit, (LOVE controllers can be had for 60 bucks, or there's Ranco or Johnson...), so you can accurately control the temperature.

Thanks, that's what I'll do. I'll also cut the shelves length wise and take about 1.5 inches from each side, leaving a 3 inch gap down the middle length once I set them back up on the shelf supports. That will help the cold air to fall better and more evenly.

Home Depot and Lowes sell 4x8 sheets of 3/4" and 2" foam - that will work to line your closet. 2" would probably be best, but will consume space.

Drop an extension cord into the space and get a small desk-top style fan to keep the air circulating. Then all the cold won't "fall" to the bottom.

looks like it's going to be awsome!

edit: - your e-bay link - says Non-US compliant, and it also runs on 250V. Something to consider.
It switches 250v/16a - so that means you can run almost anything THRU it, but the power required to run it - you need to watch that. Do you want to run it from a household plug? Then you need a 120V unit.

How's this controller look?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Digital-Tempera...4a9ac85e98&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14#ht_701wt_1165

I need something cheap, hah. Doesn't need to look good as long as it works and does the job.

That'd probably work, but unless you live in Australia it's gonna cost you a pretty penny.

For super cheap:
http://www.chicompany.net/index.php...id=933&zenid=ca6fe6505d7d49fff035166bcbad95d0

For digital control:
http://www.drillspot.com/products/466548/Love_TSX-10140_Temperature_Switch

Both of those are cheaper than the ebay unit you posted.

One question....this will be in your garage? If so, will you need to worry about HEATING it too, (winter?), or is it warm enough where you live?

They should be kept in better order.

What should?

Hang Glider said:
Home Depot and Lowes sell 4x8 sheets of 3/4" and 2" foam - that will work to line your closet. 2" would probably be best, but will consume space.

Drop an extension cord into the space and get a small desk-top style fan to keep the air circulating. Then all the cold won't "fall" to the bottom.

looks like it's going to be awsome!

edit: - your e-bay link - says Non-US compliant, and it also runs on 250V. Something to consider.
It switches 250v/16a - so that means you can run almost anything THRU it, but the power required to run it - you need to watch that. Do you want to run it from a household plug? Then you need a 120V unit.

Thanks for the info! And, I didn't even notice the controller's location and 250v requirement.

shortyjacobs said:
One question....this will be in your garage? If so, will you need to worry about HEATING it too, (winter?), or is it warm enough where you live?

This is the avg temperatures for San Diego, by month:
Temps.jpg

I could just not brew from Nov - Feb, since an ambient temperature of 57F is probably too low without a heater, or I could just buy a $20 heater and attach it to the temp controller in those months. Sound OK?

I could just not brew from Nov - Feb, since an ambient temperature of 57F is probably too low without a heater, or I could just buy a $20 heater and attach it to the temp controller in those months. Sound OK?

Or brew lagers during those months...

I just got the OK to use this cabinet as my fermentor. So, now I'm in the buying stage. I see the Johnson A419 temperature controller on AHS, but would prefer to spend less.

What would you all recommend for a good, functional temp controller like the A419 by Johnson that costs less? I really like being able to plug it straight into the wall and plug the cooling unit into the controller, so that's a must.

I've done some research but can't find a cheaper alternative that's decent, but maybe I'm missing something.

Thanks!

Back