Picked up the wrong ingredients - hop suggestions for grain bill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phidelt844

Reaction score
Hey guys! Hoping to get some help on a possible recipe here...

I was planning on brewing a batch of the Lake Walk Pale Ale. I visited my LHBS and handed off my handwritten recipe to be filled and crushed. When I got home, I realized that I had 2 pounds of roasted malt instead of toasted, which I had planned on trying myself! So here are the grains I currently have:

8.0 lbs 2-Row Brewers Malt
2.0 lbs Roasted Malt
0.5 lbs Crystal Malt 60°L
0.5 lbs Wheat Flakes

I'm planning on going in tomorrow to get the proper grain bill for the Lake Walk. Does anyone have any suggestions for what I can do with this grain bill with the roasted? I was thinking of perhaps some sort of vanilla porter, but I'm not sure if it's even rescuable with that much roasted... so I'm looking for hop/yeast ideas.

Thanks in advance for any ideas!

You could toast some of that 2-row yourself.

Willamette for hops would be good with what you have there.

I plan on toasting the 2 row myself for the Lake Walk recipe. The incorrect ingredients that I have now, however, are already crushed and thrown in with the rest of the grains.

I'm not sure on the lovibond for the roasted grains. All I can tell is written on the bag "Roasted - 2lbs", and I can see that the grains are very dark. I called and asked the LHBS guy about it, and he said that the roasted he gave me would definitely not end up with a pale ale style.

I've never heard of "roasted malt" per se, only roasted barley. I suppose it could be a form of roasted malt - black malt, chocolate malt, etc. In any case, you don't want 2 pounds of any of that stuff (color = 300-500 oL).

a little roasted barley goes a LONG way. I've used a pound in a stout and thought is was too much. For what you want to do, I'd either leave it out completely or at the very most add 4 ounces - you'll end up with a nice amber color. If you bump it up to 8 ounces, you're into the brown-color category.

Of course, you could switch things up and brew a stout instead

EDIT - just reread your response above - the 2 pounds of the roasted malt are already mixed with the rest?!? Quite frankly, I think you are SOL - 2 pounds of that stuff (whatever it is - roasted barley, chocolate malt, black malt) is going to give you a pitch black, very astringent brew. I'm not sure there is a way to fix that since I don't think it will even make a good stout. Sorry :(

I'd hold on before you go tossing the grain out. If you want to make a stout you could always go get say 5-7 pounds of 2 row and use maybe 1/3 of the bag of grain you have with it. Not exact but really, what in brewing is. If it's bad, well, at least you tried.

Terje

I'd hold on before you go tossing the grain out. If you want to make a stout you could always go get say 5-7 pounds of 2 row and use maybe 1/3 of the bag of grain you have with it. Not exact but really, what in brewing is. If it's bad, well, at least you tried.

Terje

That's a good point. I think that could work well.

Took your advice and decided to cut my incorrect grain bill in half, leaving me with (ideally) 1 lb of 300 lovibond roasted. Filled in the other half with:

4.5 lbs 2-row
.75 lbs Carapils
1 lb Munich
.5 lb crystal malt 15L
.25 lb crystal malt 40L
.5 lb black malt

.7 oz Chinook @ 60
.2 oz Cascade @ 60
.2 oz Cascade @ 10
.2 oz Cascade @ 0

Fairly close to a Fish Tale Trout Stout clone, which I have never heard of... but why not? Thanks everyone! Let the Frankenstein Brew begin!

Back