8.5% Iipa

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TekelBira

Reaction score
I've racked my Midwest Hop Head IPA to the secondary carboy today. OG was 1.074 eleven days ago when I brewed it. Today, I measured 1.011 which is results an 8.5% if I'm not mistaken. Suggested FG is 1.017. It tastes good (actually really really very good :ban:), looks nice, smells even better. I intend to wait about ten more days before I bottle it and forget it for a few months at least. I am so excited, I just wanted to share. :):mug:

If you don't drink it for a couple months, aren't you risking losing some of the fresh hop flavor?

I've heard 2 months after brewing an IPA can lose a drastic amount of hop flavor. Do you do anything special to keep the hop flavor fresh?

I've substituted dry yeast comes with the kit by default with Wyeast American Ale (#1056). The recipe calls for grains to be steeped 10-30 minutes at 155F and let sit another 10 minutes off the stove. I did 30 + 10. Also, deviating from the recipe, I boiled with full 5 gallons instead of 2 gallons. I can't tell if it makes any difference but that's all I can say.

My first batch was an IPA as well and after two+ months, it still tastes refreshingly hoppy.

Cheers.

You may lose some of the overwhelming hoppiness, but the flavors blend and meld and make a better overall beer if it was good to begin with.

Back