Critique My American Wheat Recipe Please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhymenoceros

Reaction score
So this is a shot at an American wheat recipe. Its one of my first recipies, so any and all critiques would be helpful.

1# Flaked Wheat
1# Crystal 60
7# Wheat LME

1 oz. Perle 60 min
.5 oz Cascade 5 min

Wyeast American Wheat

2 gallon boil.

Thank you.

Basic and drinkable. Should be good. Some will say a lb. of two-row will be needed and I'd probably add it, but it will be good just like it is. Make sure you only add a couple lbs. of the LME at the beginning of the boil and the rest at 15 min. to keep the color to spec.

If I added the 2 row I would need to do a mini mash right? can I just do the procedure the same as steeping? if I did not add the 2 row would I get anything from the wheat? how would caramel 20 work instead of 60?

sorry for all of the questions.

Yeah, that would be a mini-mash. Use about 1.25-1.5qts/lb of grain and steep it at about 154F for 30-45 minutes. Rinse the grains with 170F, a bout 1-2qts per pound. Real simple, not much more than just steeping.

What are you trying to get from the flaked wheat? If you don't want it to be hazy and full of starch you are going to need to min-mash the flaked wheat.

Personally, I think you could go 100% wheat LME. Personally, I would not add the crystal, I like my wheats dry, not too much sweetness. Maybe some cara-pils if you are looking for body.

Latest posts

Back