Am in going to be disappointed?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woollybugger2

Reaction score
Am I going to be disappointed?

Just got my next brew in, Stone Smoked Porter from AHS, I thought i had used the drop down menu to select a mini-mash version. But I go the full extract version.

I've only brewed 3 batches so far and they all have been mini-mash. My question is there going to be much / if any difference in the beer?

There is 8.5 lbs of LME, the recipe calls for adding it all at the beginning of the boil. I'm shooting to do a partial boil or 3.5 ~ 4.5 gallons. I just got a new bigger pot and will have to test how much my stove will boil.

Should I add 1/2 the LME at the start and the other 1/2 in the last five minutes?

AHS also recommended double pitching White Labs English Ale yeast for this. If I make a 2 liter starter, should I use both viles or would one be enough for this OG 1.068 beer.

Thanks...

So far I'm really enjoying all three of my brews!

Okay on the half and half extract addition, that's what I would do. You may get a bit more hops utilization but in my experience it's always been a good thing.

Double pitching was recommended only if you're going to direct pitch. If you make a starter, especially that size you won't need both vials of yeast. Save the other one for a future brew.

All-extract beers can be as good all-grain. The main consideration is the freshness of the extract and austin homebrew has a high turnover.

Late extract addition helps keep light-colored beers light-colored, I wouldn't bother with a Porter.

Make your starter from one vial and save the other one.

I'm just not sure that you can get the complexity of a stone smoked porter on an all extract kit. You'll get dark beer. It'll probably be just fine, but don't expect a clone of that beer without any grain.

Back