Anybody ever used pasta as an adjunct

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wilserbrewer

BIAB Expert Tailor
HBT Sponsor
Reaction score
I have a couple pounds of pasta in the pantry, mini pasta like orzo, considering over-cooking it and tossing it in the mash w/ say 4-5 lbs of two row and maybe some rice hulls.

I'm thinking wheat (from the pasta) beer w/ some coriander and orange peel...maybe grapefruit.

Anybody been down this road? Am I crazy, the pasta is just refined wheat I think. Trying to avoid a trip to the LHBS to get some wheat.

I know about a guy who made a wheat beer that way (with spaghetti), even getting a 3rd place in a competition. The recipe is here, in Norwegian. Quick translation of the relevant parts:

OG: 1.048
Pre-boil wort: 27 l
Final volume: 24 l

Malt & adjuncts
3000 grams 60 % Pilsener malt 3 EBC
2000 grams 40 % Spaghetti, cheap ? EBC

Mashed at 90 min 65 ºC.

20 grams Hallertau Perle 3 % alfa pellets 60 min
5 grams bitter orange peel 15 min

Bottom fermented with yeast cultured from a bottle of Hoegaarden @ 9 °C.
Mashing was slow because the spaghetti didn't dissolve well, had to be done twice to get negative result w/ iodine test. [Crushing the spaghetti into small pieces before boiling would likely help.]

The brewer described the beer as 'weird', but I think that might have been for the ingredients rather than the flavour.

Thanks for the info Olbart. Not sure I'll try it, just everytime I see these two bags of "excess" pasta I have sitting gathering dust, I get the urge to mash em.

Back