sour/bitter beer problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

truckerzero

Reaction score
my first batch of beer has been great
but today my beer tastes much more bitter to me
it was a low hop beer 1oz sazz for 60 min
so im sure thats not it
it is keged but im at the very end (just a little left in keg)
has any one else noticed this at the end of a keg
its tasted great till now
beer is only about a week old so not a freashness issue

did you filter your beer before putting it in to the keg ?

can you describe the "bitter" taste more is it sour or just bitter like hops bitter ?
how long did it age before you put gas to it ?

Hmm not sure, what levels of carbonation are you shooting for? And like Cheeto asks, how old in total (from pitch to drinking) is the beer now?

total age is 2 weeks i know its green but like i said it was great except for this last little bit now im at the bottom of the keg
ps i tried to drink a glass of beer i left in the fridge over night and was terrable
does home brew go bad that fast once it hits the air
or was this possably a infected batch and the air brought out the bad off flavors??

It's really hard to say, trucker. The thing is at that phase most beer is still dramatically changing. Anything left exposed to the air is going to both lose carbonation and pick up off flavors just from sitting there in the fridge. I doubt it was infected.

Two weeks is really young. Are we talking two weeks from pitching, or two weeks since it was ready? I'm not sure what your process was, but my guess is that, if you went straight from primary to the keg too early, you still had a lot of yeast and stuff floating around in the beer. If you've ever poured out some sediment from a bottle-conditioned beer, you'll note it can be a little bitter. When in suspension and diluted with the beer, it probably wasn't as noticeable. As it settles and concentrates at the bottom of the keg, it becomes noticeable as you get more and more sediment in your draws.
Just a guess

Chris

thanks chris thats sounds like the problem
so filtering my beer as i put it in the keg would be my solution
but will make a unfiltered wheat clear right?
whats the best way fo filter the beer on the cheap??

I'll tell you this - my first batch was messed up from beginning with temperature for a lager and despite that I was too anxious and drank it green. Some bottles came out really green and some came out ok. All my stuff was a lot older then 2 weeks, I had it for 2.5 in primary and over a week in bottle before I opened the 1st bottle and now I have 2 left :) (originally ready date was 10/31 :) ) From my newbie experience I can tell you that a lot of my green / bitter / sour / winey / yeastie off flavor was due to green age and obvious presence of yeast. In your situation you have young age + end of the batch which could potentially mean higher concentration of yeast.

Ps. One other observation I just made is that the yeast leftovers in my older bottles is almost non existent while the first ones had a yeast sediment. This furthermore proves my observations about green / yestie beer causing sour / bitter / green taste.

beer was fine tonight figured out problem thanks to chris
last night i was checking how much beer was left in keg
i was shaking it around to gauge how much was left and this
mixed all that sediment up in a small quantity of beer
its fine now and will probably bee ok to the very last pour
and im betting it will be real sour

thanks chris thats sounds like the problem
so filtering my beer as i put it in the keg would be my solution
but will make a unfiltered wheat clear right?
whats the best way fo filter the beer on the cheap??

Very few homebrewers filter their beer. Filtering isn't really so much about removing sediment as it is about getting that last level of clarity in your beer. For the most part, sediment (and clarity) are best handled by a variety of other means, which have been widely discussed on this forum and others.

The most obvious solution, particularly in your case, is to give the beer more time. You haven't said much to clue us in to your process, but you're finishing the keg at two weeks? At two weeks, the beer isn't just green, it's barely done fermenting. Sure, some beers are best enjoyed young, but that's really pushing the envelope. Generally speaking, you really should give your beer two weeks in primary. If you're going straight from primary to keg or bottles, many would suggest that three weeks or more would be even better. Even after the main fermentation process is done, the yeast will be at work cleaning up after themselves. Then, once they're done, they and other particulates will settle out of the beer. You could also use a secondary to further help clarify the beer. Other steps, such as cooling the beer or adding fining agents before racking can be implemented as well. When you rack the beer, be sure to keep the end of the racking cane out of the trub by using a tip made for the purpose or some other type of standoff. Obviously, if you naturally carbonate your beer in the keg, some amount of sediment will be produced there as well. You can either force-carbonate instead, or consider transferring to a seving keg.

If you look around, all of this and more has been discussed already. However, like I said, the best thing you can do is give it time; your patience will be rewarded.

Chris

thaks chris good info
in the future ill starte making multable batches
so im not try ing to drink them as soon as possable
but its just to hard to wait
did i tell you i have a.d.d. oops
well ill try my best

Back