Brewery names--what's your story?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm thinking the Sliming and Mining Brewhaus. The mining is to dig myself out of the huge hole that I'm going to get into with this hobby.

I ferment and condition all my beers in the Cellar, plus I like dark cavernous underground places.

So Cellar Brewing was created.

grange rd. brewery. not a big mystery there. some of my brews are trenton tap,
west road ale, misty mountain hops, dazed and confused,bobweiser

LIONS_FAN2539 said:
grange rd. brewery. not a big mystery there. some of my brews are trenton tap,
west road ale, misty mountain hops, dazed and confused,bobweiser

What I want to know, is 2539 the year that the Detroit Lions finally make it to the Super Bowl?

Sluggo was a gerbil belonging to my former brewing partner. Why Sluggo, I don't know, the gerbil only had three legs. Anyway, at one point I was commenting on his developing beer "micro-brew" belly. He came back with, "It's not that big! More of a nano-belly."

The dog wash part is for my greyhounds, because washing them is about as messy as brewing.

8-Bit Brewing was created for my love of video games. I basically played them since I was able to hold a controller, starting with the Atari 2600. The Nintendo era brought a resurgence to home console gaming with state of the art 8-bit graphics. I still play today and still like all those old retro games. I doubt I'll ever stop.

And now I brew beer, by gamers, for gamers. :tank:

Carport Lounge Brewery

Can you guess where I brew??

I grew up in Sheridan and Grand Ronde, how did I end up in Florida???

Eastside Brewer said:
I have struggled with finding a name, I live on a street called Pearce, so initially I thought "Pearce St. Ale Works"? Another thing is our town is predominantly divided East and West, so I thought of "Eastside Brewery". But i am also in the heart of the wine country, so I don't know if something like "Wine Country Ale Works" would work? General Vallejo is a historical figure, and our town has his home as well as many Army barricks, so I don't know if incorporating something historical like that would work? Oh well, back to the drawing board.

Eastside.

Why not switch the Pearce Street to St. Pearce? just an idea

Anyways, I'm a full time college student, and I spend my afternoons flying airplanes (they tell me I'll actually GET paid someday for this, I'm wondering if I'm stuck in some kind of pyramid scheme). So, finding a way to make a little money for myself on such a limiting schedule is tough. I decided to put together a karaoke system with the help of a friend since nights are all I have open. I figured test running the equipment was a grand idea, so I invited a group of friends over to the basement. The night was lots of fun. One of the couples that came are really very nice, cool people.... but they're also very conservative. They teased the swmbo and I for our dirty laundry piles around the basement. The name stuck, "Dirty Laundry Karaoke". As soon as I started talking about brewing, I knew the name would have to be related, since I am brewing in that same basement...... "Dirty Laundry Suds Company" is the best I've come up with so far.:D

Shaffer pilot, thanks for the suggestion of St. Pearce, it's a little too Catholic for me, not that there's anything wrong with that! Anyway, the brainstorming continues....

On another note, for your name, you are a pilot and like to fly, why not call it "Air your dirty laundry Ale Works"! you could make a "tighty whitey nut brown ale" or a "split crotch blonde ale" or a "bitter cargo Ipa"... just an idea!!

Eastside.........

Actually its kind of funny because I am in the middle of fermenting my first batch. But the other day, my daughter asked me what I was going to call my beer and that I should give it a name. Since Ive always drunk Budweiser and my name is Mike, I thought about calling it Mikeweiser. Then maybe Gorweiser because my last name is Gorey. Then it came to me. Years ago when I played Icehockey, my team mates called me "The Gormeister"(a long story). So I decided on calling it "Gormeister Brew". I even created a label with the Gorey family crest on it. I dont even have a beer finished yet but I have a name and label for it. :D :drunk:

Roaring Bull Brewing Co. - I was born, raised, and still reside in the small town of Millersburg, PA. This town, or rather, village has population approximatley 3k or so, 0 redlights, etc.

The only thing the town is known for is the 150-200 year old ferry-boat(s) that cross the Susquehanna river in summer. They leave the shore of our town (Dauphin county) and drop off people and maybe 2-3 cars or cycles in Perry county on the opposite side of the river. The most famous ferry boat and the one still running today is the old wooden, maroon "Roaring Bull V". The brewery name plays on the name of this ferry boat, although my logo (in process with billpa right now - I'm so anxious!!) will feature a more 'animalistic' roaring bull figure, as opposed to a boring old boat. :)

What's also nice is that the town's motto/slogan is "small-town perfection", so I can also have my brewery's motto play on these same words... e.g. craft-brewed with small-town perfection (etc.)

I'll post pics of the amazing logo and label design bill has in process once we are 100% complete with the process. Should be by weeks-end!!

EDIT: For pics of the logo and labels: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=41296

Mine comes from the housing development I live in... Paisley Creek.

Paisley-Creek-Logo-final.jpg

jrpark22000 said:
The Fat Man Brewery, started off as a joke between me and my first brewing partner, from there it morphed into www.thefatmanbrewery.com where I have logo's and a history tab to describe the Atom bomb theme from WWII and the "Fat Man" atomic bomb.

Post #50

MOD EDIT: Removed pic. Your image was requesting login credentails.

Jaybird said:
I have California Brewing Company inc. I have trademarked the name ( cant believe it wasent taken) I am currently many things whithin the CO. but CCO and CFO are the positions I hold. We are working with a local marketing group to get our perspectis finilized and we are off to the invester group. my labels are almost complete (see avatar) and we should be in buisness within a year. Wish me luck
Im gonna need it
JJ

Sweet dude, good luck! Where abouts are you in No. Cali? I'm in the East Bay. I'd love to see a new brew place up!

my brewery doesn't have a name :(

maybe I'll call her Susie...or Beth or something...kinda like naming a boat?

Once I go all-grain I could call it Megatron...what do ya think?

:p

Well I was sitting down reading some posts the other day and it just kinda hit me!

Hops In Da Sack Brewery!

My wife and friends loved the sound of it........anyone good with Graphic Design???? LOL

I have a long Polish last name that starts with "Br" and ends in "ski". About a month after I started brewing, a professor was trying to say my name on the first day of classes pronounced it Brew-zinski. The guy who got me onto brewing was sitting next to me and looked over at me and said, "if you ever start a brewery, there's your name". It has stuck since.

my buddy Ryan last name is Tighe (pronounced Tie) mine is nelson so we came up with Tielson's (pronounced teel-son's)

The Doll House Brewery was named when I started brewing. The name came from the fact I was living in a dump house nicknamed the Doll House.

I liked the name a lot, and have a lot of great ideas for logos. I just cant draw, so they cant come to fruition.

See my sig!

O and I picked it because I like space and black holes and quasars and stuff.

And I figure if I ever start a micro brewery I can name my beers after constelations and other cosmic phenomena.

The sig says it all.

I live in the boondocks, my favorite move is Boondock Saints, and I'm a drunken Irishman.

That's about it.

After reading about dollhouse it made me remember my friend used to live in this old rundown farm house. We called it "The dead hooker house" I should use that sometime.

Roundhouse Brewing Company. I've studied martial arts since I was a kid, and the roundhouse is one of my best kicks. Plus, I just like the sound of the word 'roundhouse'. :)

My brewery is currently unnamed, but the only name that seems to matter enough to me to be remembered is "Libre Ales".

In English the word "Free" has a lot of meanings, and the most common is "has no cost".

I'm a member of the Free Software movement and the term Free there means "Unrestricted"... We've long used the phrase "Think Free Speech, not free beer..."

Latin (and as such, most modern Romance languages) had the concept of "Libre" which means "Free, Unrestricted, Liberated" and is such a beautiful concept. It also only needs be explained once and it's hard to confuse with another meaning.

Also, geeks like puns. ;P I'd love to be able to turn the "Free Speech not free beer" into one. :)

I went through several ideas / themes while trying to come up with a name I liked and finally chose Wyld Hare Brewing. I was out walking my dogs in the neighborhood one evening and we came across a half dozen or so wild rabbits minding their business by one of the local ponds and the light bulb went on over my head. After I started thinking about it I decided I really like the multiple meanings inferred when spoken aloud without knowing the spelling. Clever enough to amuse me and dumb enough to be unpretentious?

As soon as I move out of a closet, I'm going for Cattywampus Brewing Co.

I've been calling my 8 month old the Cattywampus (I know it's not a noun!) since she was born and it was one of the first things that popped into my head when I was trying to think up a name.

This was a question that frequently came up by my friends when I still lived in Western NY. One night, possibly after a few adult beverages, I leaned way back in my folding chair on the front lawn and looked up into the sky. All of a sudden, it came to me. Crescent Moon Brewing Co. I grew up in country and have always enjoyed looking at the night sky. It just seemed to work...

Cerebral Beernication Brewery as a play on cerebral fornication. My first homebrew was an Irish stout that came out with far too high of an alcohol content. In the words of Sam Jackson, "it'll get you drunk!"

I guess I'll throw mine out there as my 1st post.

My brewery name is simple

Hornung Brewery

Original Philadelphia brewery "Jacob Hornung Brewery" closed in 1953. Looking to resurrect the lost tradition in the Hornung family from the great city of Philadelphia.

"The Tastiest Beer In Town!"
- Hornung Beer

HORNUNG BEER said:
I guess I'll throw mine out there as my 1st post.

My brewery name is simple

Hornung Brewery

Original Philadelphia brewery "Jacob Hornung Brewery" closed in 1953. Looking to resurrect the lost tradition in the Hornung family from the great city of Philadelphia.

"The Tastiest Beer In Town!"
- Hornung Beer

What about Paul?
http://www.paulhornung.com/

Kevin Dean said:
Also, geeks like puns. ;P I'd love to be able to turn the "Free Speech not free beer" into one. :)

Not a pun, but it makes a nice bit of Latin rhetoric:

liberam dat linguam cerevisia; cerevisia non datur libere

literally: "beer makes a tongue free; beer is not given freely" The turn of phrase is better in Latin (it's called chiasmus).

Hey, you said you were a geek...so from one geek to another :)

Been toying with a brewery name for a while. Seems like a moot point, as I don't make labels or anything. Still, I have a dream of seeing a sign over a door saying....(what homebrewer doesn't?)

"I Bhfad Ó Bhaile Brewery"

It's Irish for "Far from Home." My wife thinks I should spell it phonetically, "Iwhudowally," which I say looks like the name of a dry creek in Australia or something. Still, it would be memorable.

Bungadil Brewery

The name just popped in my head one day. Weird.

To me it sounds like the name of some pub in Middle Earth where hobbits get hammered off of huge ales.

I guess that's pretty dumb. I shouldn't have told you guys that.

My Brewery is "Monster in the Closet", 'cause that's where I first started fermentation my first time.
I'm still working on a logo that isn't too cartoonish.

Back