NB Cascade Mountain Imperial IPA and First Wort Hopping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trojandux

Reaction score
So I recently purchased this extract kit and some questions. It says to only do a 2.5 gallon boil. which than gives the estimated IBU's to be about 39 when entered into the Brewing Software. which seems a bit low for the Imperial IPA.

However when I do the same calculations with brewing software fot the All grain version IBU's are much higher near 100.

Links for both recipes:
http://www.northernbrewer.com/documentation/beerkits/WestCoastImperialIPA.pdf

http://www.northernbrewer.com/documentation/allgrain/AG-WestCoastImperialIPA.pdf

The other thing I was thinking was that the extract version is taking into consideration for the added volume of liquid in the LME, therfore increasing the actual boil volume, since it is some considerable liquid amounts. This is my first all liquid extract recipe/kit. I always use DME for partial mashes.

Another difference is in the all grain batch they do a FWH and a 60min addition. Is there a reason why in an extract version it is just a FWH and then a 30 min addition. and am I still suppose to do a 60 min boil or only a 30min boil?

Here are the links to both recipes. Please help and let me know If I need to increase boil volume. or if something in the instructions are missing.

Thanks all and heres to happy brew days.:mug:

It's an extract kit, so I suggest following the recipe. All my extract kits have been 60 min boils also. Boil volumes are always smaller with extract brewing, but you use top off water in the carboy to bring the batch up to 5 gal. When your done with your boil and cool the wort, you add 2 gallons of fresh water to the carboy, funnel/ strain your wort into the carboy, then top off to the 5 gallon mark with more fresh water, and rock back and forth on the floor for a few min. to incorporate the top off water and aerate the beer, then pitch. Obviously all grain recipes will be different than an extract recipe as you don't have to brew the sugars out of the all grain. Extract recipes eliminates this step from the process.

I hope I answered your questin adequately, as I was a bit confused over the question.

What are you most concerned about, the boil volume, or the final batch volume? Extract kits start with small boil volumes, and then fresh water is added to bring the batch to 5 gallons I when added to the primary fermenter.

Back