Cherry Concentrate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WiscoCK

Reaction score
I'm brewing a Cherry Stout and planned on using this concentrate in my secondary:

http://stantonorchards.com/store/

I found that this product is not pasteurized after contacting the maker. I assume I should find a way to pasteurize or is it ok since it's food grade?

I'm thinking if I boil it the flavor would be affected.

Could I add Vodka to it and let it sit for a few days and achieve the sanitation?

Go to the whole foods store near you and get this brand. It's a national brand, very very good as a beer flavoring, and 1/2 the price of what you were looking at. I just picked one up yesterday at the grocery store for $5.99. One bottle adds subtle flavor, two for a pronounced flavor.

tart-cherry-juice.jpg

I honestly don't know if this juice is pastuerized or not, but I've used the tart cherry and black cherry a few times without issue.

If you really want to pasturize, you just need to put the juice in a pot (or the whole bottle in some water) and heat it to 161F for 15 seconds. That's all Pasturization is. Any temp over 160F kills all known human pathogens and bacteria.

Good luck!

I honestly don't know if this juice is pastuerized or not, but I've used the tart cherry and black cherry a few times without issue.

Which one would you recommend for a chocolate cherry stout?

The black cherry would be smoother and more complimentary to a stout. The tart cherry would be more contrasting and stand out more if you want a less subtle cherry. You decide.

This company makes about 20 more flavors as well, this was just the first pic I saw on a Google search.

Awesome. Thanks for the heads up, I need to investigate these juices as I've wanted to play around with fruit additions but never wanted to deal with frozen fruit.

Go to the whole foods store near you and get this brand. It's a national brand, very very good as a beer flavoring, and 1/2 the price of what you were looking at. I just picked one up yesterday at the grocery store for $5.99. One bottle adds subtle flavor, two for a pronounced flavor.

tart-cherry-juice.jpg

If you really want to pasturize, you just need to put the juice in a pot (or the whole bottle in some water) and heat it to 161F for 15 seconds. That's all Pasturization is. Any temp over 160F kills all known human pathogens and bacteria.

Good luck!
I used 2 quarts of this same brand black cheery juice in my porter, gave it a subtle, almost wine like flavor. Put the juice in my secondary for 2 weeks.
I bought mine at Giant Eagle grocery store, was on sale for $4.99 a quart

Back