Belgian Dubbel question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pratzie

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Brewed up a Belgian Dubbel, my first. From everything im reading, time is your friend with this type of beer and letting it sit for awhile is what makes it better.

Wondering what everyones thoughts are regarding how long to leave it in secondary and then how long to leave it prime in the bottle? So far it fermented for 2 weeks before the FG went steady. I have had it in secondary since 8/16 of this year and was thinking of leaving it there for 2 months and then bottle priming for at least a month as im told it takes awhile to get the carbonation going and im still without a kegging system.

Any advice or recommendations are welcome. Also, whats looking for bottling opinions about going with 22oz bottles instead of 12 oz'ers.

Thanks! :mug::rockin::ban::drunk::cross:

I think you are on the right track. I've left my dubbels in the secondary for 3 to 6 months, but that is because I ferment them out at about 60F and they just take a long time. I really like the 22s also. I've never bottled in 12 oz bottles because I either drink about 22 oz during the course of an evening, or pour two glasses to share. Plus, the 22s cut you capping cost and time in half! Woohoo! Bottle aging can be as long as you like for these beers. I opened one just recently that was almost three years old. Excellent.

Them Belgians put their dubbels in big bottles, so they must be on to something eh?

i ferment belgians like any other beers (primary till stable gravity then +2-3 weeks in the same primary or in 2ndary if i need primary fermenter for next batch), then i bottle and age for 3-6months before start drinking.

I think you are on the right track. I've left my dubbels in the secondary for 3 to 6 months, but that is because I ferment them out at about 60F and they just take a long time. I really like the 22s also. I've never bottled in 12 oz bottles because I either drink about 22 oz during the course of an evening, or pour two glasses to share. Plus, the 22s cut you capping cost and time in half! Woohoo! Bottle aging can be as long as you like for these beers. I opened one just recently that was almost three years old. Excellent.

Them Belgians put their dubbels in big bottles, so they must be on to something eh?

Do you prime with yeast after that much time?

Many true abbey and Trappist dubbels are brewed, bottle conditioned, and out to distribution in a matter of weeks, two months at the most. I have done Maredsous clones that tasted pretty close to the real thing in 2 months. Would aging help....probably but not necessarily authentic.

saazall said:
Many true abbey and Trappist dubbels are brewed, bottle conditioned, and out to distribution in a matter of weeks, two months at the most. I have done Maredsous clones that tasted pretty close to the real thing in 2 months. Would aging help....probably but not necessarily authentic.

Maredsous is cellar aged for two months prior to distribution.

Maybe true at Duvel but Westvleteren 8 (and 12) are out the door after 6 weeks from start of primary. Aging is not needed but a few days in the fridge is recommended to drop the yeast out.

Aging commercial beers is expensive. You have all the money tied up in the ingredients and process expenses and the incentive is to get it out the door and sold as quickly as possible. I stand my my contention that aging measurably improves the flavor, while I understand that this is the most subjective of value calls.

As to adding yeast after 6 months, I have not had to do that, but I recall reading that some breweries pitch fresh yeast to bottle, and it is not necessarily the same yeast used to ferment.

Just the other day, I cracked open a couple bottles of a simple dubbel I brewed at the beginning of August. It was in primary for 24 days, then bottled for about 2 1/2 weeks. Carbonation is great and flavors are beautiful. It might get better as it ages in the bottle a little bit, but it is already delicious.

Of course, I do have a belgian dark strong ale sitting in secondary that I brewed in the middle of July. I'll probably bottle it soon, but I'm not planning on drinking much of it until at least Halloween. And I'm sure I'll leave a good amount of it for Thanksgiving and at least 12 bottles for around Christmas time.

FYI, I pitched the dubbel batch on top of (part of) the yeast cake from the BDSA, and fermented around 68 to 70 degrees pretty steadily. The yeast was the Wyeast 3522 Belgian Ardennes.

Never tried the Ardennes strain. Usually Westmalle or Abbey 2. Too. Many. Combinations.
Would like to give it a try on a Dark Strong. Sounds like it has a balanced profile and flocs out well.

Back to the thread, belgians are the only beers I will still bottle condition. Repitch with primary yeast that I wash and store. Use some blond candi syrup and store for about 2 weeks at 75F. Couple days in the fridge and it's ready to enjoy.

Back