looking for pump input!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just signed up for the give-away.

Looks like an interesting option. Not liking that brass, though.

Nice to see they actually have inventory unlike chugger. I think I'm going to take a chance

March, Little Giant and Chugger aren't specifically designed for brewing either, they are just magnetically coupled high temp pumps with food-grade materials. They have been proven to work in home brewing through continued use. Lab peristaltic pumps weren't designed for brewing either but they work. These 12V pumps have been used as hot water recirculation pumps for years in solar water heating systems running 24/7, they are food grade. I have been using one for 6 months and pleasantly surprised. Personally I think March 809 pumps are over priced (look closely at yours, simple motor and no high tech materials) but they are a standard now in home brewing and even if (or should I say when) they hit $200+ people will buy them.

Just my opinion but I can recommend the 12V solar pumps, I haven't had any trouble other than mounting them as they are intended to be plumbed inline with pipe. They are small and quiet.

Im just guna say. Two pumps for $120 for. Its almost worth the risk for that small cost. Hell for $120 if I got 5 brews out of it before one broke I wouldn't be all that mad. Im thinking about jumping in... Unless someone has tried them and has some negative input.

im thinking this is small enough i may be able to mount it right on the outlet of my hlt, would probably make a good whirlpool pump while running a eherms

that's a great idea!
+1

Put a cam-lock or tri-clover fitting on it and it's a quick on and off.

OneHoppyGuy said:
that's a great idea!
+1

Put a cam-lock or tri-clover fitting on it and it's a quick on and off.

That sounds very interesting!

I have actually ordered one of these today. I plan on filming my first brew day and sharing it with you guys. That way you'll have a really good idea how it will work in a home brewery environment.

As I am in the market for a pump or two, this could prove to be right what I need. Will be looking forward to how well they work.

Careful...looks like an exposed magnet! Did not know they made food grade magnets ?

Careful...looks like an exposed magnet! Did not know they made food grade magnets ?

That magnet doesn't look exposed to me. It seemed more like you had to remove the impeller before you get to the magnet. Since I'm no expert, can someone else confirm whether or not there might be an issue with this?

I Emailed and asked about the exposed magnet this is the response I got back.

The picture is not so clear, the magnet is coated and not exposed as some have suggested that have not seen one of these pumps in person.

Sincerely,

Scott Cretney

Interesting. Entered the giveaway. I'm happy with the one pump but if I can add a secondary to make a single tier I won't complain.

TheOnionKnight said:
Im picking up 2 today. Will post pics once setup.

Please do! I'm just waiting for someone to validate that these pumps work before pressing go on 2 of them. They seem totally fine, and they're certainly getting a lot of talk these past few days.

Please do! I'm just waiting for someone to validate that these pumps work before pressing go on 2 of them. They seem totally fine, and they're certainly getting a lot of talk these past few days.

Just waiting for mine to arrive. I will be brewing immediately after I receive them. Grains, hops, and yeast are waiting.

+Subscribed, I want to see a homebrewers opinion of this pump. Sure would make my automated system easy as I could run on same relays and not need SSR.

I'm particularly interested in how well it pumps from MLT to kettle, and I only have about 3 ft head.

+Subscribed, I want to see a homebrewers opinion of this pump. Sure would make my automated system easy as I could run on same relays and not need SSR.

I'm pretty sure you'd still need the SSR's to be able to PWM control the pump speed.
Normal contact relay switching times are too slow to do that.

I would like to see how the pump performs with boiling liquids.

There was a thread about these a week or so ago:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/cheap-pump-ebay-317493/

I commented that it looks identical to another pump I picked up on ebay a few weeks ago. I've only used it once, but it worked fine to go through my 40-plate chiller and recirc for a few minutes. Cut my chilling time in half vs. the gravity feed I was using previously. I only had about 5ft of head on it, but there was plenty of velocity coming out of the hose. I've got it screwed straight into the ball valve on my kettle, with a hose barb on the output to connect to my chiller.

The "food grade" part is up for debate. I would call it "food safe" below is a cut and paste from a chemical company that makes Ryton:

http://www.cpchem.com/bl/rytonpps/en-us/Pages/faq.aspx

Do you have any "FDA approved" grades of Ryton® PPS?
Answer: There currently are no "U.S. FDA approved" Ryton® PPS injection molding compounds. In accordance with U.S. FDA Food Contact Notification (FCN) 1083, all Ryton® PPS production polymers may be used as components in the manufacture of food-contact articles for repeat-use food-contact applications, in contact with all types of food, under Conditions of Use A-H, and J. Polyphenylene sulfide resins are also specifically permitted under 21 CFR 177.2490 as coatings or components of coatings of articles intended for repeated food contact use, subject to certain limitations. These permissions do not extend to articles injection molded from Ryton® PPS injection molding compounds. But, ordinary houseware articles, such as dishes, flatware, beverage glasses, mugs, cooking utensils, cutlery, and electrical appliances, are not subject to U.S. FDA regulation as "food additives." Therefore Ryton® PPS injection molding compounds may be suitable for use in such articles classified as housewares, but such use is subject to the general safety provisions of the U.S. Food, Drug and Cosmetic Act, meaning their use cannot in any way adulterate the food contacted. It is the responsibility of the manufacturer of the final article to determine the safety and suitability of Ryton® PPS for such applications. Several Ryton® PPS injection molding compounds have been certified to comply with the requirements of various Potable Water and Food Contact Standards.

---It is a pump. It is cheap. And it does look like the topsflo. The diagram and specs however are from:
http://www.tecteg.com/pdf_files/TS5-DC-SERIES-Direct-Connected-To-TEG-or-Battery.pdf

Well galvanized pipes are ok in our home water systems, alcohol isn't good for us, aluminum shouldn't be cooked with, brass use to be ok for brewing now it's making people nervous. Really nothing we do, eat or drink anymore is safe by some "expert" out there. If I could afford a stainless pump I'd buy it but they are over priced...been in manufacturing and purchasing and we are getting gouged on these pumps. Only one that is semi reasonable is Chugger but availability is bad because of being made in China and shipping/customs etc. I refuse to pay March $150+ for a plastic body pump. Manufacture's cost for pump head is probably less than $5 in the volume they produce.

Frustrating that industry sees a niche market, i.e us home brewers and jacks prices.

We buy March pumps wholesale by one of the lowest priced distributors i the U.S. We get hit with a shipping charge (the warehouse is 2 miles from us!!!!!) and the cost is the same as retail before tax. One way or another their gonna getcha!

They work fine. Same principle as March pumps, non-priming magnetically coupled high temp pump just a smaller DC pump . Output can be controlled with valve. 12VDC works best and they can be a little tricky to mount as there is no bracket.

I hear that you can also get a variable DC controller to adjust the flow. Anyone been able to (or not) do this? I like the idea of electrically controlling the pump instead of restricting flow like a march pump does.

Back