Philly area Homebrewers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've had about 20 of their beers and thought just about every one of them were above average at least. Put me in the "gaga" camp. :ban:

I'll give you above average. I'm not saying the beer was bad, but i've seen reviews that this is a "must not miss while in philadelphia area" place. Again, not knocking the place. i enjoyed my beers. but it wasn't some orgasmic experience..

I'll give you above average. I'm not saying the beer was bad, but i've seen reviews that this is a "must not miss while in philadelphia area" place. Again, not knocking the place. i enjoyed my beers. but it wasn't some orgasmic experience..

I'm saying AT LEAST above average. I'm the one telling people it's a must not miss when in Philly type place.

Do you have any places like that? Everybody has their own tastes, so I understand if you don't like it as much as I do, just curious if you have any breweries that you do get excited about.

To be honest, no. i really don't have any that are "Zoinks you gotta go here!". There are places I definitely recommend, and frequent more often, but with all the beer out there in the philly market these days, there aren't alot of "do not bother here" type places. While I live not far from Chestnut Hill, Paul at the CH Iron HIll location is a really good brewer. I've always liked his beers there. And Barren Hill is getting their legs under them, have been happy with most of the beers I've had there so far.

I've been to a few IH's and the chestnut hill one is awesome. When people disparage IH, I always assume they haven't been to the chestnut hill location.

+1 to Shangy's in Emmaus. Prices are reasonable and they have a great selection. If I recall, they only sell cases, which is a bit of a drawback sometimes

They are a distributor so yes, all they sell are cases. They do have a huge selection but you aren't going to walk in and see Hopslam just sitting there for sale. What they have goes in a day so your best bet is to find out when they are getting it in and go there right when they open...

They are a distributor so yes, all they sell are cases. They do have a huge selection but you aren't going to walk in and see Hopslam just sitting there for sale. What they have goes in a day so your best bet is to find out when they are getting it in and go there right when they open...

Yeah my buddy told me about them when i was looking for hopslam. He picked up a case on release day there. This hobby is starting to feel like my sneaker hobby, grabbing stuff on release day or miss out haha

Just went to The Beer Store in Southampton. Holy crap! Almost overwhelming. Made it out of there with the last Chainbreaker!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Just went to The Beer Store in Southampton. Holy crap! Almost overwhelming. Made it out of there with the last Chainbreaker!

The knocks on the Beer Store which people have mentioned recently in this thread are all true - old IPAs and overpriced - but their selection is simply amazing! Plus, they get Belgian stuff that I've never seen anywhere else, especially sours. It's the type of place that's worth a long drive if that's what it takes IMO.

Ok it's my bday next week. Is there a recommended brew pub for dinner that will serve good food and vodka for the girls.

Hello my name is Drizzt and I have a brewing addiction.

Ya it's a little pricey, but that's how supply and demand works. Can't have it both ways

Ok it's my bday next week. Is there a recommended brew pub for dinner that will serve good food and vodka for the girls.

What area specifically?

I'm in Oreland near Chestnut Hill we we can travel I'm not dd ing

I like Nodding Head for their decent fare and good beer. I think they serve liquor too. Honestly your best bet may be just a really good beer bar like Misconduct, Monks, Devil's Tavern, Khyber Pass, etc. Thats what I would do. Good luck!

Oh and Deke's BBQ in Wissahickon/Manayunk is slammin and they have great cocktails and good beer selection. Not huge but what beers they do have are usually solid. But man is that BBQ good. Happy birthday!

We were just at Barren Hill last night. Food there is pretty good, awesome beer selection (12 house beers I think, another 12-18 guest beers. BTW, the Bullfrog Sasion aged in the Tequila barrel was AWESOME). The Barren Hill knifes edge DIPA was damn tasty too. Fish and Chips are really good there. And they have a bar. ;)

For those Hopheads that like Bells Hopslam, Union Jack's in Glenside will be taping a sixtel of this at 12:30 today. I'll be there at 11:45 settling in at the bar to watch USA vs CAN (assuming there is a spot at the bar, this place is busy for lunch. if not, i'll be somewhere in front of a TV). Also will have $4 Two Hearted's during the game (and two or three other Bells beers on tap as well). I'll have a Troegs Nugget Nectar hat on if you want to stop by and say hi...

For those Hopheads that like Bells Hopslam, Union Jack's in Glenside will be taping a sixtel of this at 12:30 today. I'll be there at 11:45 settling in at the bar to watch USA vs CAN (assuming there is a spot at the bar, this place is busy for lunch. if not, i'll be somewhere in front of a TV). Also will have $4 Two Hearted's during the game (and two or three other Bells beers on tap as well). I'll have a Troegs Nugget Nectar hat on if you want to stop by and say hi...

Nice! thanks for the heads up. Capone's in Norristown is tapping Hopslam tomorrow at 11:30 as well. :ban:

We were just at Barren Hill last night. Food there is pretty good, awesome beer selection (12 house beers I think, another 12-18 guest beers. BTW, the Bullfrog Sasion aged in the Tequila barrel was AWESOME). The Barren Hill knifes edge DIPA was damn tasty too. Fish and Chips are really good there. And they have a bar. ;)

Thank you I will check with the bosses

Go to Tired Hands in Ardmore. They have amazing and unique beers that are constantly changing. I don't think they serve liquor but it's your bday so screw it!

Go to Tired Hands in Ardmore. They have amazing and unique beers that are constantly changing. I don't think they serve liquor but it's your bday so screw it!

I do not remember a bar back there when we were there on sunday.

Heading to weak knee tomorrow, finally through my grain supply. Need to stock up. The question is how to sneak 8 sacks of grain into the house without the wife seeing

Heading to weak knee tomorrow, finally through my grain supply. Need to stock up. The question is how to sneak 8 sacks of grain into the house without the wife seeing

Just show her how much it would cost to buy that much grain for each batch. That's going to be my strategy for buying a mill

I'm still extract so I am ordering my next kits. Ordered a Hopslam clone last night. Going to order a Red IPA and a Tripel next. Gotta keep the taps going here too.

The beer is great at Barren Hill but my fiancee and I were severely disappointed with the food. For the first time in my life I decided not to finish the burger I ordered.

The food is much better at brittinghams.

Well it was not mentioned but to appease the masses it will be iron hill chestnut hill

And I'm going tonight while everyone is at war if the worts???? I just do what I'm told to.

I was at WotW. They started putting out HBs in the area where the beer and food were. The HBs were the second bottle for entries that didn't place. I found mine so I split it with my buddy, left and went to the bar :-/

Anybody know how they do the awards for people who couldn't go to the award ceremony for wotw Saturday night? Saw online today that I came in first in the imperial Ipa category but I couldn't go last night...

First step is to invite us over to taste the beer. Second step...I don't know but I love IPAs! haha

haha, I would but I kicked the keg already. Entering it into the competition was kind of an afterthought so I had just enough left in the keg to fill two bottles for competition before it kicked on me.

It has become my house IPA so I brew it pretty regularly however...

Guess it's time for a new batch!

haha, I would but I kicked the keg already. Entering it into the competition was kind of an afterthought so I had just enough left in the keg to fill two bottles for competition before it kicked on me.

It has become my house IPA so I brew it pretty regularly however...

Back