problem finding bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Captainfester

Master of the Seas
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
having a hard time finding bottles. dont really want to buy them at 15 bucks a case.

obviously could go to kegging but prefer bottles. any ideas on where to find cheap bottles?

You can of course use empties from commercial brews. Many bars will just give them to you. Soak them, clean them, sanitize them, and recap 'em. Many homebrewers end up with way more bottles than they'll ever use.

I'm a little odd, I guess... I don't want to put my brew in a bottle with a different name on it, so I do shell out the $15 per case for new, plain bottles. That's pretty much the going rate, unfortunately.

I try to roll bottles in with my other purchases from AHS, so I at least don't have to pay for shipping.

I just bought some used bottles from a home brewer for $5 a case. I bought 6. I found the deal on craigs list. He also threw in about 20 wine bottles. Not the best deal but ok. Try craigslist in your area and surrounding areas.

Does your city recycle? When I first started, I went down to my local recycling center on a Sunday afternoon. About 2/3 of the people that drop by on a Sunday have at least a dozen empty beer bottles. Instant recycling! I had four cases of empty bottles in about 45 minutes.

I recently did the same thing for wine bottles. Haven't gotten into winemaking quite yet, but I'd like to sooner than later!

Make friends with a bartender.
-or-
Check Craigslist religiously.
-or-
Start drinking more.

Make friends with a bartender.
-or-
Check Craigslist religiously.
-or-
Start drinking more.

Let your friends know you are brewing. A sixer here, 12'er there....it adds up fast. I've had to turn down taking bottles from friends/family because I have too many now. Well, not too many, you can never have that, but more than I have space to store.

Check the classified section too. I know there's a thread with people giving free bottles away. There's even a spreadsheet to see who's closest to you.

Redemption center. Even if you pay double what they do, you still get a case for $2.40. Bring a couple homebrews for the workers and you will be swimming in bottles.

In case anyone around central Ohio has the same problem, I have bunch of bottles I would rather take to the recycling center than delable. Shoot me a message and they are yours free.

I bought 6 cases of Asahi and Sapporo 650 ml bottles from my local sushi restaurant for the $0.05 deposit they would have got recycling them. Score!

just watch out for the fuzz in the bottom - overnight soak in the chlorinated TSP.

Also look up threads here on using oxyclean to remove labels, works great, if you dont mind using branded bottles... i use them because i hate trying to ask people for my bottles back when i give them beer...

There is an android app on the market... Craigs list something or another. It automatically searches for whatever term you are looking for, day in and day out, and alerts you when something is found. Makes finding homwbrew stuff a snap. I have carboy, homebrew, bottles, keg, and a few other common searches going on even when I'm sleeping. In cincinnati, I come across 1-2 ppl selling or giving away bottles cheap per week.

Back