Finishing Agent

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NYeric

Reaction score
Here is a surprise...

I just noticed that my latest Wine Kit has a "Finishing Agent" to be used shortly before bottling.

It says that it is derived from SHELLS of shellfish. Would that be a problem for someone that is allergic to shellfish???? I wouldn't think so, but it is still a thought

NYeric said:
It says that it is derived from SHELLS of shellfish. Would that be a problem for someone that is allergic to shellfish???? I wouldn't think so, but it is still a thought

I actually would think so. Shellfish is a huge allergy that doesn't take much to potentiate. I am not sure, though

I don't know which "agent" you have- I think isinglass is derived from fish. If you are concerned about an allergy, I would not use it. I would think that the shell from shellfish is "iffy". My first husband was allergic to shellfish, and couldn't have hospital tests with iodine. I probably wouldn't chance it.

:off: I should have given him scallops for dinner one night. Would have been cheaper than the divorce.
I"M KIDDING.

I just got off the phone with Winexperts people up in Canada..eh

They tell me it is perfectly safe. It goes through so many refinements and there is zero proteins left in the product, and that is what causes the allergies.

In fact they tell me that many places are using it in municipal water treatment systems these days..

....So no worries:)

Latest posts

Back