Questions About My 1st Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

upperNY01brewer

Reaction score
Did my first Cider last week and took a sample out last night and gotta say it tasted pretty good. The one flavor I'm picking up that I'm hoping dissipates with time is a slight hint of yeast, is this usual in a green cider ? It also is I'd say somewhat cloudy so I added 1oz. of liquid Isinglass, will this help that condition out ? Or will these two things just work themselves out..

A bit of yeast flavor is common in green ciders espcially ones that are still cloudy as there is a lot of yeast still in sepension. The Isinglass will help this, but the best thing is to just give it time for the yeast to drop then, rack off of the lees.

The temp you fermented at is fine and you shouldn't have any off flavors in your final product. Welcome to cider side of things!

A bit of yeast flavor is common in green ciders espcially ones that are still cloudy as there is a lot of yeast still in sepension. The Isinglass will help this, but the best thing is to just give it time for the yeast to drop then, rack off of the lees.

The temp you fermented at is fine and you shouldn't have any off flavors in your final product. Welcome to cider side of things!
What is the general time frame for the yeast to drop ? And what is lees ? Pulled another sample today as per a request from the wife, she loves this "green" cider, but again have had to tell her "patients dear, patients".....So I guess Im on the right road.:ban:

I'd wait about 3 months in bulk aging then to the bottle. Lees is the accumulation of sediment that has fallen to the bottom of the vessel. Most people rack to a new vessel (secondary, tertiary etc.) when there is a 1/4 inch of lees. You don't need to add any fining agents, you might find that some of the more delicate flavours and volatiles can be stripped out, it's best just to go with time.

P.s. It's patience :)

Latest posts

Back