Chinook Single hop special pale...I would love thoughts comments..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoppedIPA

Reaction score
I am curious to see what everyone thinks .. Yes I LOVE hoppy ales and made a few so far last one was a Nugget single hop ale with a tad lower OG and it is doing great but still over 200IBU where this is even more of a hop monster @ 298 IBU... I plan on starting this one Early Christmas day before the house starts to wake up :)
malt & fermentables
% LB OZ MALT OR FERMENTABLE PPG °L
68% 8 0 Alexander's Pale Extract 32 4
15% 1 12 Muntons Light Dry Malt Extract 34 5
9% 1 0 Grits 37 1
4% 0 8 Caramunich Malt 40 33 40
4% 0 8 CaraVienne 35 21
Batch size: 5.0 gallons
Original Gravity
(1.068 to 1.080)
Final Gravity
(1.017 to 1.021)
Color
9° SRM / 18° EBC
(Gold to Copper)
Mash Efficiency
75%
hops
USE TIME OZ VARIETY FORM AA
boil 85 mins 2.0 Chinook pellet 11.0
boil 60 mins 1.5 Chinook pellet 11.0
boil 40 mins 1.0 Chinook pellet 11.0
boil 20 mins 2.0 Chinook pellet 11.0
boil 10 mins 2.0 Chinook pellet 11.0
boil 5 mins 2.0 Chinook pellet 11.0
boil 1 min 2.0 Chinook pellet 13.0
dry hop 12 days 3.0 Chinook pellet 11.0
Boil: 7.5 avg gallons for 85 minutes
Bitterness
288.2 IBU / 72 HBU
ƒ: Tinseth
BU:GU
yeast
Wyeast American Ale (1056)
ale yeast in liquid form with low to medium flocculation
Alcohol
7.7% ABV / 6% ABW
Calories
254 per 12 oz.

298 IBUs in a beer is impossible. You might get some good hop flavor, but you're wasting a ton of hops:

http://www.beertools.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9843&sid=2d4ad214195d8bb09727fa5fabaa31ee

"Brewers and consumers toss around IBU numbers that likely aren't accurate. "Hey, did you try the one that's 130 IBU?" we hear Thursday as we walk. In fact, that might not be possible. Brewing chemists can fill a blackboard explaining why, so Mitch Steele-an assistant brew master at Anheuser-Busch who also judged the category-provides an English translation:

"The maximum IBU level in a beer is somewhat dependent on composition of the beer. A higher alcohol, higher gravity beer can have more IBU than a beer at 5 percent alcohol. A 5 percent beer will max out at 120 parts per million iso-alpha acids, which corresponds to about 80 IBU. It is physically impossible to have more IBU than that in a 5 percent beer. As alcohol and unfermented carbohydrate in the beer increases, so does the ability of the beer to carry more IBU. Our hop research expert feels that the claim that some barley wines have over 100 IBU is probably valid."

I don't see a point in having 85, 60 and 40 minute additions of hops. Use as much as you need for IBUs at the beginning of the boil, and move the rest to after 20 minutes. That should give you great flavour and aroma.

If Nateo is right and you'd just be wasting hops, I'll be happy to take some off your hands. My LBHS can't get Chinook right now. The distributer says there's a shortage. Has anyone heard of this?

I just got 4#s from it was only $0.59 and oz. Your LBHS must be the one with the shortage but Willamette valley hops doesnt have any shortages..that i know of right now.. atleast not yet:) their web site doesn't reflect the current special pricing. you can also email [email protected]

If Nateo is right and you'd just be wasting hops, I'll be happy to take some off your hands. My LBHS can't get Chinook right now. The distributer says there's a shortage. Has anyone heard of this?

for $0.59 an oz its worth atleast trying dont you think? I was paying the $3.00 the LHBS prices yeah i wouldnt even think about it..
298 IBUs in a beer is impossible. You might get some good hop flavor, but you're wasting a ton of hops:

http://www.beertools.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9843&sid=2d4ad214195d8bb09727fa5fabaa31ee

"Brewers and consumers toss around IBU numbers that likely aren't accurate. "Hey, did you try the one that's 130 IBU?" we hear Thursday as we walk. In fact, that might not be possible. Brewing chemists can fill a blackboard explaining why, so Mitch Steele-an assistant brew master at Anheuser-Busch who also judged the category-provides an English translation:

"The maximum IBU level in a beer is somewhat dependent on composition of the beer. A higher alcohol, higher gravity beer can have more IBU than a beer at 5 percent alcohol. A 5 percent beer will max out at 120 parts per million iso-alpha acids, which corresponds to about 80 IBU. It is physically impossible to have more IBU than that in a 5 percent beer. As alcohol and unfermented carbohydrate in the beer increases, so does the ability of the beer to carry more IBU. Our hop research expert feels that the claim that some barley wines have over 100 IBU is probably valid."

Thanks. I noticed other online sorces didn't seem to be having trouble either. I guess it's just the LBHS supplier.

Weird though, I would think hops were a commodity so that if one supplier is short they all are.

RE: your LHBS not being able to order hops. It's probably just their wholesaler that doesn't have that type of hop, whereas a hop grower would presumably have more hops than a wholesaler.

At my work we have three different wholesalers that offer the same brands and products, the reason being some of them are out of some products at some times.

You might get some good hop flavor, but you're wasting a ton of hops:
"

Waste of hops? Better tell this guy>
http://beerdujour.com/Recipes/1Pliny the Elder clone PDF.pdf

Anything above 80-90IBU taste the same to my tastebuds, but I still check the numbers.

ProMash numbers for my BW:
OG: 1.103
SRM: 13.2
Anticipated IBU: 126.3
FG 1.020
11% ABV

56g. Chinook ---> FWH
42g. Centennial ---> FWH
28g. Cascade ---> FWH

50g. Columbus ---> 20 min.
42g. Chinook ---> 15 min.
35g. Centennial ---> 10 min.
28g. Cascade ---> 5 min.

That's kinda what I'm figuring. The manager at the LBHS says shes tried other sources but she may not have tried all that hard.

Anything above 80-90IBU taste the same to my tastebuds, but I still check the numbers.

FG 1.020
11% ABV

56g. Chinook ---> FWH
42g. Centennial ---> FWH
28g. Cascade ---> FWH

28g. Cascade ---> 5 min.
I take it you missed where it said the IBU's were 90-95. And more than half are aroma additions, not bittering.

Ha i love that.. Lupulin Threshold Shift

FG 1.020
11% ABV

56g. Chinook ---> FWH
42g. Centennial ---> FWH
28g. Cascade ---> FWH

28g. Cascade ---> 5 min.

I take it you missed where it said the IBU's were 90-95. And more than half are aroma additions, not bittering.

No I saw that and yes theres a limit on how bitter the beer can ever get without using extracts but its not a waste of hops in any way shape or form, more flavor-aroma.

FYI, I sell a Pliny pack so you can make the pliny the elder clone and that recipe is outdated.
That being said my pack has around 12 oz of hops in it and 8 of those ounces are used @ or after the 30min mark, along with 2 dry hop additions. You do get a nice hefty 3.4 oz @ the 90min hop addition for bitterness but the majority of hops in that beer are used for flavor/aroma additions. It is an awesome beer if you like hops!

MAn you guys have gotten WAY off topic .. I feel thread jacked..lol

I love hoppy beers, and I would love to see you make something that is amazing...so...if it were my recipe I'd keep 2 oz of hops at 60 minutes, and move EVERYTHING ELSE to 20 minutes and later.

That way you get big, intense bitterness along with HUGE flavor and aroma. Putting 5 oz of hops in with 40+ minutes in the boil is only going to push bitterness to a point of big time diminishing returns. the last 2-3 oz are going to give you only a fraction more bitterness than the first 2 will account for. Make better use of those hops as flavor and aroma additions. That way the hop character will be big and bold and the beer will be perceived as a HOP BOMB, instead of overly bitter, vegetal, and unbalanced.

Sorry about that HoppedIPA. To get back to the recipe: Do caramunich and caravienne malts do the same thing for head retention as carapils? If not, I'd add some just because I love seeing a good lace on an IPA.

I know there are other ways of getting head retention but this is the only one I've tried so far.

About the late hop additions i have read in the last couple days since i posted this about those and how awesome it makes the beers.. so i think i will keep 2oz at "60" sometimes it ends up being more like 80 min.. and shift the rest to the last 20 min or so as Nateo and Strat thru the guitar guy.. suggest.. As for the CaraPils i was thinking about that too.. might go pick some up today.. I used that on my last all nugget ipa with a 200+ ibu and its still in primary for the moment..

Sorry about that HoppedIPA. To get back to the recipe: Do caramunich and caravienne malts do the same thing for head retention as carapils? If not, I'd add some just because I love seeing a good lace on an IPA.

I know there are other ways of getting head retention but this is the only one I've tried so far.

Ive made several all Chinook hopped pales, IPAs and ambers. Chinook hops are the best. I love that aggressive, biting bitterness they provide. They are great for dryhopping too!

Fantastic! I have a single hop nugget pale in secondary with 3oz'S nugget and I had to add 1oz chinook too so it's now not quite a single hop ale. I do look onward to Monday when I can do the all chinook ale!
Ive made several all Chinook hopped pales, IPAs and ambers. Chinook hops are the best. I love that aggressive, biting bitterness they provide. They are great for dryhopping too!

I don't know how to phrase this, so I'll just take a stab at organizing my thoughts. Boiling hops for longer than 20 or 30 minutes destroys the more fragile elements that provide aroma/flavor, making them only usable for bittering. So for a 90 minute boil, any hops you add within the first 60 minutes will have the same bittering effect. There's no reason to do 90,80,70,60,50,45, etc. Just do some at 90-80mins, then wait until at least the 30-20 min mark to add the next additions. It's just more work the other way.

I am guessing you didnt read post #22..
I don't know how to phrase this, so I'll just take a stab at organizing my thoughts. Boiling hops for longer than 20 or 30 minutes destroys the more fragile elements that provide aroma/flavor, making them only usable for bittering. So for a 90 minute boil, any hops you add within the first 60 minutes will have the same bittering effect. There's no reason to do 90,80,70,60,50,45, etc. Just do some at 90-80mins, then wait until at least the 30-20 min mark to add the next additions. It's just more work the other way.

yes i brewed this it has been in primary since monday what were your adjustments just curious.. also what was your "grain build/extract" incase you missed i also made some adjustments posted in a later post but here it is again.. ofcourse i have not yet gotten to the dry hop part yet...
USE TIME OZ VARIETY FORM AA
boil 60 mins 2.0 Chinook pellet 11.0
boil 40 mins 1.0 Chinook pellet 11.0
boil 20 mins 0.5 Chinook pellet 11.0
boil 10 mins 3.0 Chinook pellet 11.0
boil 5 mins 3.0 Chinook pellet 11.0
boil 1 min 2.0 Chinook pellet 11.0
dry hop 12 days 3.0 Chinook pellet 11.0
Boil: 7.5 avg gallons for 60 minutes
Bitterness
172.6 IBU / 55 HBU
ƒ: Tinseth
BU:GU
did you brew this? i made one similar today,used your hop additions as a baseline and made slight adjustments.

I did a Maris Otter / Chinook SMaSH for the BYO/BBR lautering experiment. After hearing all those commercial brewers on CYBI talking about whirlpool additions, I tried a single 30 minute bittering addition and all the rest in a 20 min whirlpool with the lid securely on. Gotta say, this is the most aromatic and flavorful Chinook brew I've done. Not a bit of dry-hopping either. Mmm... Loves me some Chinooks...

this was my first all chinook ipa.just tapped the keg today.great bite,aroma punches you in the nose.i will definatly make this again !!!:rockin:

Looks great. Chinook is becoming one of my favorite aroma hops. I always dry hop though.

Back