Re-capping Heineken bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrzud

Reaction score
Does anybody have any experience with recapping Heineken bottles with a wing style capper?

It doesnt seem that they are sealing that well.

Check out my post on the euro neck bottles.. I think that's your problem. I had a hard time capping Tucher bottles (bad beer BTW).. they do seal though, it just takes several tries to cap them. If you turn the bottle on it's side and no liquid escapes I'd say the bottle is capped tight enough.

I cap heineken, hoegaarden, bud, coors, tiger, carlsberg, kopperberg,erdinger,bulmers and many more with a wing capper, all without problems. I live in Ireland, so maybe the bottles and caps are a different size and match than you are experiencing.
Ken

IME It's all to do with how good a grip you get get on the neck of the bottle with the capper. My wing capper has a metal plate on each side of the underneath with a semi circle cut out of it. The great thing is that you can pull these plates out and on the other side of the plate there is a semi circle of a different diameter cut out (IIRC 29mm and 26 mm).

I needed to swap them round to the 26mm plates, and even then there were sometimes problems getting it to hold onto the neck of the bottle when trying to crimp the caps on.

The ones that seemed to work best on Sunday were the big 75ml Hoegaareden bottles (using 29m caps) followed by Stella 33ml and Peroni 33ml using 26mm caps.

I did get some Corona a Carlsberg bottles to cap as well, but these were a bit more troublesome

HTH

80/-

I only have one size of caps, and I dunno what they are. They fit 33 and 50cl bottles though. Will have a look at my capper to see if I can switch the metal plates.

You probably have the smaller 26mm caps - they are pretty standard. I had to hunt around for ages to find the bigger caps that fit the bigger 75cl champagne/Hoegaarden/Leffe bottle tops.

This is the capper I've got

DEL20182135.JPG

If yours looks similar, you should be able to swap the plates around

80/-

yea mine looks similar ish but it's black. it's not a big deal though cos I'll only ever bother with the 33/50cl bottles (don't like beer getting too warm/flat).
Did you ever notice that the bottles have a number printed on the base sometimes - I've seen 51 mm 44 mm 41 mm and so on - I dunno what that means. Defo not the cap size anyway! and I don't think it's the base diameter either.
K

I played around with the capper and some other bottles and you are right lost, the capper seems to hold better to the other bottles.

Back