False bottom for my BK

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Islandboy85

Reaction score
I'm gona get another false bottom for my BK. I have a Climax 14.75 false bottom for my MLT already. I like their 11.5 false bottom for the BK because it's cheap, but is it worth paying double the price for the 14.75 false bottom for a BK? I've been having trouble filtering out the hopps after the boil. I've used a scrubby, and tried angling my dip tube but still getting too much hopps into my fermenter. Would the 11.5 in false bottom be sufficient for what I'm after?

http://climaxhomebrew.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_6&products_id=8

i'm going to be soldering in the morebeer 10" this weekend, based on friends' suggestions. so i think the 11.5 would be better

For a FB to work well, it has to cover the full area of the base. If it doesn't, you will get solids creeping under the FB, thus defeating it's purpose.

-a.

but still getting too much hopps into my fermenter.

I don't think it's a negative if some hops and trub end up in the fermenter. RDWHAHB.

A false bottom will never be 100% effective in straining out debris from the kettle. If the screen was tight enough to keep out all the crap it would get clogged in a hurry and then what do you do?

Try some of the other methods like a hop back or whirlpool. Or just live with hops and trub in the fermenter. Really it should not hurt the beer.

For a FB to work well, it has to cover the full area of the base. If it doesn't, you will get solids creeping under the FB, thus defeating it's purpose.

-a.

With a keggle the FB is usually below the spigot and there is a tube that sucks the liquid out from under the FB. In those cases the FB is domed and does not cover the whole bottom of the pot.

I don't think it's a negative if some hops and trub end up in the fermenter. RDWHAHB.

A false bottom will never be 100% effective in straining out debris from the kettle. If the screen was tight enough to keep out all the crap it would get clogged in a hurry and then what do you do?

Try some of the other methods like a hop back or whirlpool. Or just live with hops and trub in the fermenter. Really it should not hurt the beer.

The 14.75 f.!. Fits my keggle perfectly. I figure the 11.5 f.b. Would fit into the bowl contour enough to seal down. I'll talk to our hydraulic shop at work today. I'll see if they'll build me a pickup tube that'll suck up from the side of the keggle rather than the center. Are you using a pump to whirlpool or just stirring? I don't have a pump...yet.

I use a pump to whirlpool but you can do it just the same with a spoon. Stir it for a minute of two and then let it settle for 20-30 minutes. If your lucky, most of the break material will form a cone in the bottom. Carefully siphon or drain the clear wort from the side. Drain slowly so you do not disturb the cone. Good luck!

I use a pump to whirlpool but you can do it just the same with a spoon. Stir it for a minute of two and then let it settle for 20-30 minutes. If your lucky, most of the break material will form a cone in the bottom. Carefully siphon or drain the clear wort from the side. Drain slowly so you do not disturb the cone. Good luck!

Do you use a short dip tube to pick up on the side of the keg? Pictures?

I don't have a keg. I have a big stainless brew pot. It has a valve on the side near the bottom to drain. Attached to the valve I have a short piece of copper that pulls the liquid from the bottom at the side of the pot. Sorry I don't have any pics. but it looks kinda like this one

PICT0020.JPG

FWIW I had a have to brew moment yesterday, but my FB for my BK wasn't in. I'm using an upside down ekeggle with a triclover bottom dump. I was looking around the house for a hop sack when I came across my vegetable steamer. I said why not, flipped it upside down and away I went. It worked great, and the hops on top caught most of the break material in 10 min of cooling/recirculation. I'm expecting even better results from a true FB.

FWIW I had a have to brew moment yesterday, but my FB for my BK wasn't in. I'm using an upside down ekeggle with a triclover bottom dump. I was looking around the house for a hop sack when I came across my vegetable steamer. I said why not, flipped it upside down and away I went. It worked great, and the hops on top caught most of the break material in 10 min of cooling/recirculation. I'm expecting even better results from a true FB.

I thought about using a strainer. I shortened my dip tube up before my most recent batch and it helped a bit. I'm only leaving about a quart in the kettle. I wonder if I can make a deflector plate of some kind to put on my pickup tube so that when it starts to siphon it doesn't cause a current that draws in the hop and break material after I whirlpool.

Back