Philchiller - $55

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like a good price - you'd pay that much building an immersion chiller.

I just saw a similar chiller on eBay go for $80 (pisser because the dude selling it was in my hometown, so I wouldn't have had to pay shipping).

I bought one. Just under $67 with S/H.

OK, a $150 day in supplies so far and I'm still not ready for AG.

the_bird said:
You have a mash tun yet? What else do you need?

Here's what I have so far:

24qt pot
44qt pot
Burner
Propane
Philchiller (just ordered)
2 rectangular coolers (not sure of size - will post later but I know they're big enough for a 5 gallon batch)
Carboys, etc.

Need a manifold, tubing, and grain.

You're almost there, then. Get one of the weldless couplers from Northern Brewer, $15. Bring it to Depot and buy a ball valve, hose barb, and stainless steel braid. I wouldn't make a manifold until you try the braid, unless you want to fly sparge, the braid's only $7 and works like a charm.

the_bird said:
I wouldn't make a manifold until you try the braid, unless you want to fly sparge, the braid's only $7 and works like a charm.

Just curious, why wouldn't the braid work for fly sparging? Since it is concentrated in the center would it cause channeling?

Cheesefood said:
I bought one. Just under $67 with S/H.

OK, a $150 day in supplies so far and I'm still not ready for AG.

Man, I'm here trying to sell a superior model for a couple bucks more and nothin. Well, I think it's superior due to higher heat hose, but I have no idea what the length or diameter of the copper coil is on that wholesale deal.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=18429

I actually just let this one go for $75 shipped to someone on brewboard.

JnJ said:
Those just look like a hose with some attachements, can't you make them cheaper yourself? What am I missing?

There's copper tubing that runs inside of the hose. The copper transports the wort and the hose pushes cold water in the opposite direction to cool it off quickly.

Cheesefood said:
There's copper tubing that runs inside of the hose. The copper transports the wort and the hose pushes cold water in the opposite direction to cool it off quickly.
Aw, ok. Now I see.

Cheesefood said:
Here's what I have so far:

24qt pot
44qt pot
Burner
Propane
Philchiller (just ordered)
2 rectangular coolers (not sure of size - will post later but I know they're big enough for a 5 gallon batch)
Carboys, etc.

Need a manifold, tubing, and grain.

Just checked my cooler - 34qts. Looks like it's the right size for normal to high gravity 5 gallon batches.

There is an article in one of the past BYOs on how to build one of those. At that price I would say buy Phil Chiller. It wouldn't be worth the hassle to make your own.

Back