How long from bottling to first taste?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fotomatt1

Reaction score
I bottled my first batch on August 10th...so a little over a week ago. My apartment is probably right at about 80 degrees during the day when I'm not there, and 75 at night with the AC on. Just curious how quickly this should carbonate, and when I should be able to chill a bottle and give it a try?

Yes, but that doesn't mean that you can't sneak a few in before then.

When I was bottling I always had one each week to see how they were coming along. I had batches fully carbed in less than 3 weeks, some more than 3 weeks. It's a good average to use.

three weeks + two weeks to chill...but I throw a few in fridge at two weeks and drink after a week chill time just so I can have a taste.

I also sneak one at 2 weeks. just throw it in the fridge for a day or 2 before popping it open.

3 weeks is usually what people say, but definitely don't be afraid to give it more time than that. My beers usually taste good by 3 weeks, but even better at 4 or 5. And I always try to put a sixer away to taste in 3-4 months (if I can hold out that long).

One of the cool things about homebrewing is seeing how your beer changes over time.

Agree with all the above posts - sneak some in before three weeks, but at three weeks its usually a free for all.

I also try and save a few for 3-4 months. My first brew I saved a single bottle for 6 months, and it was the best one I had tasted - since then I set aside at least a 6.

Most of the ones I've drank before 3 weeks were green. Even though they weren't bad they didn't taste nearly as good as the ones that were ready to drink. Now I don't waste my beer drinking it when I know it WILL taste better in just another week or so

I always try one after one week, and one or two after two weeks. But try not to drink more than that until you've hit three weeks.

Also, I always put aside a six pack that I don't even count when I'm counting how many bottles I have left of each brew. I won't touch those for a year from bottling.

First I try it at bottling time. Then again each week for three weeks for most styles. Then the best thing is to let it sit for a few more... If you can.

i waited 3 days and had to have one from my first batch last night; it had a head for the entire glass, decent carb, slight smell of apples. i was impressed, but will try to hold off on rest.

Back