Reusing mashed grains for second batch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zippyslug31

Reaction score
Do some of you continue to sparge/extract after your initial boil volume is collected and with these secondary runnings make a second brew?
Seems I recall somebody talking about this technique... what is this called?
If so, how to to prevent tannins when you are sparging the hell out of the grain? For that matter, how are you making anything when the extraction has GOT to be pretty low efficiency?

Perhaps I was just confused with what somebody was saying. :eek:

Its totally doable. It will make a much weaker beer, probably something good for the coming summer months.

I know there is a term for it, in German I believe, but I can't remember it for the life of me...

I'm sure someone else does.

Ah... ask and ye shall receive:
Parti-gyle - Home Brewing Wiki

Thanks Orange!

Seems to me instead of making "one big, one small", you could collect all the runnings and mix the lot together (provided you have a large enough vessle).
I would think it would be just as good to start with TWO "medium beers", but that's just me.

Got me some more research to do! :)

Do some of you continue to sparge/extract after your initial boil volume is collected and with these secondary runnings make a second brew?
Seems I recall somebody talking about this technique... what is this called?
If so, how to to prevent tannins when you are sparging the hell out of the grain? For that matter, how are you making anything when the extraction has GOT to be pretty low efficiency?

Perhaps I was just confused with what somebody was saying. :eek:

Yes, there are several really good threads here about that very technique. The simple answers to some of your questions are...

You start with a considerably large grain bill. You stop the first runnings far above the limits of tannin extraction, and you produce two beers. The first will be a big beer, maybe 1.080+ and the second may only be 1.040ish.

I did this with the 999 Barleywine and also produced a very good ESB. If you want the recipes, I can send them to you. But technique is probably more critical than recipe other than the starting grain bill.

Here are some good threads on this:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/lets-partyyyy-gyle-pumpkin-porter-ale-one-mash-74927/
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/partigyle-ing-999-kinda-long-but-educational-75285/

Back