What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Duvel at the work holiday party

image-3403194521.jpg

Last night I did my annual stocking stuffer nips shopping. While I was in the bottle shop, I spied a new offering from 21A I had to try, Marooned on Hog Island Oyster Stout.
Since I knew the checkout clerk was going to give me some kind of $**** about a weird oyster beer, I figured I'd get it all over with in one shot and I also picked up a Ballast Point Indra Kunindra, and a Saison Du Buff.
I'm saving these for the weekend, but just in case the Mayan's are right and the weekend never happens, I also grabbed a bomber of La Fin Du Monde...:ban:

Sir Nukebrewer's Kiwi Red....

HPIM1655.jpg

This is a damn fine ale, my friend. Really tasty big red with lots of hops flavor and aroma, a sweet caramel bread-like malt character, solidly bitter, like citrus-y marmalade on a toasted muffin. Real good! :mug:

mcbaumannerb said:
After talking about this earlier I found one in the fridge! I took that as an omen to drink it!

What did you think? I didn't get much of a wood aged taste when I had it, but the only other wood aged beer I have had is Cigar City Humidor series IPA, that was like drinking an IPA out of a cigar box.

Trying myself another Sixpoint brew. The style, as reported by ratebeer, is specialty grain, but based on the description on the can and my own tasting it's definitely a rye ale. And a delicious one at that. Love that spiciness that rye gives and coupled with the hops is a great combination.

20121219_184256.jpg

Sir Nukebrewer's Kiwi Red....

View attachment 89366

This is a damn fine ale, my friend. Really tasty big red with lots of hops flavor and aroma, a sweet caramel bread-like malt character, solidly bitter, like citrus-y marmalade on a toasted muffin. Real good! :mug:

:ban: Thanks, I'm real glad you like it! That beer was the most psyched I've ever been for someone else to try it. I was trying real hard not to say too much about it because I wanted as objective an opinion as possible. Thanks again, man!

an IPA I brewed and kegged and decided I didn't like so I have been drinking off the other kegs. poured one today. damn. good. :ban:

Two Brothers Heavier Handed. This is an amped up version of their regular seasonal wet hopped IPA Heavy Handed. This one is aged in oak.
So, so good! I wish I had more than this one bottle!

image-3684132884.jpg

:ban: Thanks, I'm real glad you like it! That beer was the most psyched I've ever been for someone else to try it. I was trying real hard not to say too much about it because I wanted as objective an opinion as possible. Thanks again, man!

Yeah, it's really tasty. Had it with a cheesesteak for dinner. Good and hoppy, cut right through the spice from the sport peppers.

How is it?

It's OK. Not nearly the best mead I've ever had, but not bad, either. I bought it mostly because it's listed as a commercial example in the BJCP style guidelines for semi-sweet traditional mead. I find it's lacking much honey character in the aroma and flavor. It's there but quite subtle. It really tastes more like a Muscat or Riesling than a mead.

What did you think? I didn't get much of a wood aged taste when I had it, but the only other wood aged beer I have had is Cigar City Humidor series IPA, that was like drinking an IPA out of a cigar box.

The wood flavor isn't dominant, that's for sure, but I like the way it mellows the imperial IPA.

Well, halfway through this Pliny, and I am already feeling "warm". Loving this. Especially after a rough 3 1/2 days haha. Nice to be home enjoying a beer. What's everyone else drinking tonight??

Right now just some jack D single barrel , but I got two bombers each of a barley wine and a old English ale aged in makers mark barrels !!! Gonna save those for a bit

Having a few Blue Moons while I relax from a long trip. It's not great beer, but it's better than nothing.

Had some Ribena with some fish n' chips for dinner. I used to down that stuff by the gallon as a kid. There's a local Irish chef who opened a damned good fish n' chips place, and one of the few places I've seen carry Ribena on this side of the ocean (well, Giant carries bottles of concentrate in their British part of the "Ethnic" section- as a buddy puts it, he's a real immigrant now- but they want $9 a bottle for it). If you haven't had it, you're missing out.

Now I cracked open a bottle of my Brett Tripel. Been a few months since I've tried it. So I'm tasting along with notes from a competition (entered at 16E, and took 2nd of 28 in the Belgian/French category).

20121219_210900[1].jpg

The Narwhal is pretty awesome. Not too hot for 10%, with a super smooth roasty flavor. Not too much coffee, but more chocolate. I have one nostril that isnt really working right now, but I can still smell this great beer over it. I only bought a single. I think Ill be back to buy a 4 pack. Good stuff

The Narwhal is pretty awesome. Not too hot for 10%, with a super smooth roasty flavor. Not too much coffee, but more chocolate. I have one nostril that isnt really working right now, but I can still smell this great beer over it. I only bought a single. I think Ill be back to buy a 4 pack. Good stuff

Get two (or three), age some bottles. I really liked the Narwhal too, really good. I'm looking forward to the bottles I've shelved.

HPIM1659.jpg

Back