Copper vs CPVC in Mash Tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meatball358

Reaction score
Whats the big deal about using Copper in your DIY mash tun? Everyone seems to suggest this but I cant figure out why....CPVC is cheaper if Im not mistaken, so what makes copper a better alternative (if indeed it is)

I dont think there is any advantage. I used CPVC because it was easier for me to work with, and its cheap. I think a lot of people around here have access to cheap copper too.

Lots of people use CPVC. I think overall copper is more durable, and has a longer history in brewing than CPVC. Personally, if I were to build a manifold I would use copper over CPVC just because that is my preference, however, I'm trying a stainless braid first, cheaper and easier, if it fails to work or I get some stuck run-offs, I will switch to a copper manifold, and I will only be out 10 bucks.

FWIW, I know that the heat threshold for CPVC is somwhere around 180 degrees if I am not mistaken, that could be another reason.

Some people that use flexible tubing to connect the manifold to the bulkhead have problems with the manifold tending to float. Of course, the weight of the copper keeps it down.

Other than that, there are only perceived advantages (e.g., shiny copper, some believe CPVC leaches chemicals at mash temperatures, etc.).

FWIW, I know that the heat threshold for CPVC is somwhere around 180 degrees if I am not mistaken, that could be another reason.

Correct, ~180F is the threshold for maintaining safe pressure in CPVC pipes.

CPVC is more than safe for low pressure systems at 212F. Just don't run 60psi through CPVC at 212F as it may crack.

I've used the same CVPC manifold for 4+ years now with no ill effects and no off-flavors. Use whatever you have access to and are comfortable using.

thanks guys...Ive been leaning to a copper manifold, but it will run me extra $ than a stainless braided line setup which i just came across about 10 minutes ago...although I cant help feeling that if I go with the stainless line I will regret it for some reason later...Idk why, just an underlying feeling

thanks guys...Ive been leaning to a copper manifold, but it will run me extra $ than a stainless braided line setup which i just came across about 10 minutes ago...although I cant help feeling that if I go with the stainless line I will regret it for some reason later...Idk why, just an underlying feeling

FWIW, I used a 24" braided water supply hose for a water heater, it is approx 3/4" in diameter, and I connected it to the coupler inside the mash tun via a copper 3/4" pipe to 1/2" npt reducer. I may purchase a SS spring to put inside the braid to make it crush proof, although, the water supply braid is pretty stout.

BTW, I just did a test run yesterday with water to find out my MLT deadspace, and it is about 100ml, or 1/2 cup.

Latest posts

Back