Irish Red, more like Irish Black!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hollowdp

Reaction score
Well, I tried to brew the Irish Red recipe from Brewing Classic Styles and didn't take note that the 6 oz of Roasted Barley the recipe called for was 300L not the 675L Roasted Barley that I hurriedly grabbed and used.

Needless to say, the beer is a bit darker than expected. Since it's on the high end of style in terms of gravity and bitterness I've thought about diluting it with some sterile water to try and at least get the color right while still being in range for gravity.

I've also thought about using gelatin to pull out as much as I can and hope to get it close enough to at least enter.

Any other ideas?

Leave it alone and enjoy it the way it is. I'd come up with another beer for the competition.

I just took a pint from the keg tonight and it tastes like chocolate. With this amount of roast there's no way I'm passing it off as an Irish Red. It's good, it's just not an Irish red.

Thanks!

I made that recipe a little while back. It is really dark for an Irish Red but it came out sooo good. So good that it took 2nd place in a regional competition. I had a bottle tonight and it taste great 6 months later. I'm brewing it again next week but I'm cutting back on the RB to 3oz.

Back