Valve for co2 tank?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silvervan83

Reaction score
Kind of a weird question but I traded something that I really didn't need for a scuba tank. Thing is.... it doesn't have a valve. Just a big open hole in the top. Shouldn't be to hard to find.... right? Maybe its just hard for me to find.

I think you are saying it's just the cylinder, no valve? If that's the case, you will need a valve, and get it certified. I'd take it to your local welding shop and price it out; might not be worth it (then again it might, I never asked). Good luck!

PS Keep an eye on your local craigs list. Just a suggestion

You may have better luck if you can find a place that tests and works on tanks. Around the welding shops just send them off to get done somewhere else.

I am not sure where you are located but Sparkling Carbonic is local to me in Cincinnati.

It will definitely cost more than it's worth to have a new valve installed. Besides, no gas supplier is going to fill a scuba tank with CO2.

Tom

Most SCUBA cylinders use a 3/4 NPS threaded valve, So finding a CO2 valve with matching threads should work out just fine. This one may work: CO2 Valve for 1/4" Neck Steel Cylinder.

Alternatively, you could always pick-up a used SCUBA valve from a dive shop or online and sell it off. If the tank is aluminum it will usually go for about $65-$90 used, steel is much more. For those prices, it may just be worth it to sell it off and pick-up a 20lb tank.

You also may even be able to sell it off w/o the valve as tech divers will remove the valve to setup a set of doubles attached by a manifold.

Matt

Back