Damnit! I quit!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GilaMinumBeer

Half-fast Prattlarian
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Smoking that is.

Started a anti-depressant (Wellbutrin) to help.

Anyone use this to quit with any success?

Did you get the tingly, itchy, hotness effect from the first few doses?

Did the anti-depressant qualities help with your outlook on the world any?

Did you get the tingly, itchy, hotness effect from the first few doses?

I took Zyban (same as wellbutrin) to quit smoking for about 2 weeks and got the same tingly, itchiness you're talking about. I also got very restless (probably more related to not smoking than the medication). I quit it immediately and was told I was probably allergic to it. The itchy feeling I got was my body reacting to the zyban being processed by the liver.

However, since I had already gone a couple weeks without smoking, I just kept it up (already invested a lot of work into it fighting the temptations). I haven't had a smoke in more than 7 years.

I quit in June with Chantix....Best damn way to quit ever. It's not an antidepressant that HAPPENS to help you quit smoking...it's a pill that first and foremost is made to help you quit smoking.

You smoke for a week while taking the pill, then wham, no more, no more cravings, no jonesing, no headaches, no edginess, no crappy detox for the first few days while the nicotine leaves your system, none of the side effects that you normally associate with any smooking cessastion product!

And definitly no "tingly itchiness" either.

You take the pill for 3 months, after the first week you take one in the morning and one in the afternoon...the dosage changes over time.

The only "side effect" i had is some minor dizziness on occasion...kinda like a tinge of nausea, like if you spun in a chair a couple times and stopped...nothing major.

(when that happened i ate some candied ginger, which I got a pound of at the bulk food store.)

I also sucked on atomic fireballs and other cinamon candies like BK did.

I can't rave highly enough about Chantix....it beats ALL the other products hands down.

Good luck

I have quit many times before and this is the first time that feels like it will stick...for one thing..

I'm debating giving Chantix a try. I've quit smoking a dozen-plus times, ranging from a week to three months, and it hasn't stuck yet.

At least I'm down to less than a pack a week .... even less than that if I don't get drunk @ the bars.

I used Chantix like Revvy. I quit smoking after taking it for 2 week. I took Chantix for a total of 8 weeks. That was July '07.

In August of this year I began smoking again, but it's a pipe, and I don't inhale and there's no "cravings". I go days at a time without the pipe.

The thought of a cigarette disgusts me now.

I started on Welbutrin several years ago to quit smoking. I still smoke, but I noticed I never had any of the spells of depression that I frequently had. I never even realised I had a problem with depression until it went away. I had always thought there was something seriously wrong with how bread always lands butter side down, now I don't care as much. ;)

In summary, I still smoke, but still take the happy pills. :)

I quit in June with Chantix....Best damn way to quit ever. It's not an antidepressant that HAPPENS to help you quit smoking...it's a pill that first and foremost is made to help you quit smoking.

You smoke for a week while taking the pill, then wham, no more, no more cravings, no jonesing, no headaches, no edginess, no crappy detox for the first few days while the nicotine leaves your system, none of the side effects that you normally associate with any smooking cessastion product!

And definitly no "tingly itchiness" either.

You take the pill for 3 months, after the first week you take one in the morning and one in the afternoon...the dosage changes over time.

The only "side effect" i had is some minor dizziness on occasion...kinda like a tinge of nausea, like if you spun in a chair a couple times and stopped...nothing major.

(when that happened i ate some candied ginger, which I got a pound of at the bulk food store.)

I also sucked on atomic fireballs and other cinamon candies like BK did.

I can't rave highly enough about Chantix....it beats ALL the other products hands down.

Good luck

I have quit many times before and this is the first time that feels like it will stick...for one thing..

Tried the Chantix and it didn't take for me. I was in my 8 month of taking it and was barely smoking at all. Then my wife, 1 year old son, and I took an International flight. 33 hours on the plane, ONE way! End of story. I couldn't smoke enough cigarettes fast enough. And a $12 pack of airport Marlboro's never tasted so good.

Thought about giving it another try but, my current insurance doesn't cover Chantix (too new I guess) and my Doc suggested Wellbutrin. Chantix without insurance would cost me $145 a month, I checked.

My son is paying attention to my smoking now and I have decided I HAVE to quit before he is old enough to remember that I smoked.
Geesh!

I took Zyban (same as wellbutrin) to quit smoking for about 2 weeks and got the same tingly, itchiness you're talking about. I also got very restless (probably more related to not smoking than the medication). I quit it immediately and was told I was probably allergic to it. The itchy feeling I got was my body reacting to the zyban being processed by the liver.

However, since I had already gone a couple weeks without smoking, I just kept it up (already invested a lot of work into it fighting the temptations). I haven't had a smoke in more than 7 years.

So the Zyban didn't help to quell the cravings?

I took Wellbutrin last time I quit. I made me nuts. Like, really nuts. Paranoia, panic, curled up behind the couch freaking out thinking people were outside trying to get me kinda nuts. Guess things like that affect different people in different ways. I stopped taking it and felt find 24 hours later. Luckily I stopped while I was still aware enough to know what was going on and what was causing it.

My stepfather quit with it (and something else, can't recall atm). Unfortunately he's got Emphysema. After seeing someone like that, I dunno how anyone could continue smoking. Here's the messed up part, I convinced him to stop a while back, which he did. About a year later he started again and that's when he developed the Emphysema. I hope you can kick it man! :mug:

That's so two-months-ago.

Small fuzzy animals are now all the rage.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q85Tq3C6Bcc]YouTube - Our three Guinea pigs fighting for a cucumber[/ame]

I started taking Wellbutrin for anxiety attacks after a couple of other meds made me even worse and/or felt like I was floating in a surreal world.

The doctor told me that Wellbutrin was actually developed to help stop addiction, but because the chemicals that feed addiction and moods are very similar the drug was used for both.

I find Wellbutrin very mild for anti-depressant, and it really did the trick for me. I now normally only take it when I have anxiety, but the side effects were so mild that I took it for a couple of years nearly constantly.

Even though the side effects were mild for me, at the start, for maybe two weeks, I found that I had very mild dizzy spells, and a feeling of "anticipation". Like when you go over a steep hill and your stomach gets the butterflies? Only much less.

I've found that I could focus on tasks much better, and I have fewer attacks now that I know there is relief out there.

My dad, and several people I know have died from smoking. My advice is to try anything and everything to quit. Make sure you follow the instructions.

If these guys say that eating spicy foods and cinnamon candies will help, then buy a big bag and go for it. Cold Turkey if you have to. Cry and pound the wall if it make syou fell better, just quit.

Oh, forgot to mention that I also halved the dosage and still found that it was effective. Might try cutting back if you get side effects like you describe, and def. ask your doctor about it.

Read up on the side effects online. I don't see an indication of your side effects listed. Perhaps there is something else that is causing them?

So the Zyban didn't help to quell the cravings?

Nope ... they get less-and-less with each passing day, but there's still times where I literally dreaming about smoking. I was basically cold turkey. I figured I'd put in hard work for 2-weeks and I didn't want it to be for nothing, so I just kept it up.

I quit with Zyban 12 years ago this month. Three pack a day habit literally gone over night, without a single craving or side effect. It still amazes me how well it worked, considering I had absolutely no faith whatsoever that it would, before I tried it. Good Luck.

I quit with Zyban 12 years ago this month. Three pack a day habit literally gone over night, without a single craving or side effect. It still amazes me how well it worked, considering I had absolutely no faith whatsoever that it would, before I tried it. Good Luck.

Sounds like, mentaly, you were ready to quit. Me, not so much but I feel I need to quit for my childs sake.

Has anybody had alcohol with this?

I know every drug has an alcohol disclaimer to cover the makers backsides but, I am still curious if taking this and drinking will cause my liver to trans-mutate into something that resembles flubber.

Not that I really need to drink with this but, ya' know when it's late and "Shimmy"" is on.............:drunk:

Avoid drinking alcohol while taking Wellbutrin. Alcohol may increase your risk of a seizure while you are taking Wellbutrin. If you drink alcohol regularly, talk with your doctor before changing the amount you drink. Wellbutrin can cause seizures in people who drink a lot of alcohol and then suddenly quit drinking when they start using the medication.

Wellbutrin Information from Drugs.com

I've never smoked, but I've taken Bupropion for years and never had the side effects you mention. I do know a couple people who are using it to help with nicotine addiction and had similar effects.

I don't know about heavy drinking & taking Bupropion. Since I've been on it 2-3 pints and I stop drinking. Don't have any problems, just don't want anything more to drink.

Been thinking about chantix myself. I 'm going to see if my insurance covers it.

I used the patch before...didn't work. But it would make me trip in my dreams. I loved it. I'm talking crazy, lifelike, vivid dreams. I would put on a fresh patch when I went to bed!

the day after my insurance started covering Chantix, I made an appt with my doc.

Nov 24th will be 17 months since I had a smoke.

I would recommend chantix to anyone looking to quit. While I did have some side effects, they weren't bad enough to bother me much.

I quit cold turkey. Tried several times before but managed to make it stick this time. Not one in 22 months. I ran out of cigarettes on new years day in 2007 and just decided if I didn't buy any cigarettes I couldn't smoke. The psychology worked.

Well, as per Doc's recco. I took the pills for a week prior to actually quitting.

So far so good. I don't have the physical cravings like I have before but, as is evident in THIS post, I can't stop thinking about smoking and this day has been especially slow to spite me for it.

Just imagine how bad that sht is for you! There is literally nothing good about smoking. It's filling your lungs up with tar. It's potentially creating cancerous nodes that could make you die a horrific death. It's very likely going to cause emphysema and other conditions that could make you require oxygen in order to do the basic things in life like walking to the garage.

My friend's dad had smoking problems and near the end could not leave the room without a bottle of O2 (actually, he was bedridden the last bit). This guy was an engineer all his life and had all kinds of things he wanted to do around the house and had to call in my friend's husband and I just to do these simple things. It really made him depressed to have to do that.

I remember right near the end when I came by to help with something, and he asked me to buy him cigs. You could see the desperation in his eyes, and he felt bad for having asked, but I had to say no. I could not face my friend knowing that I bought her dad cigs when he was so bad. Thinking back now I believe I probably should have bought them anyway, since he was obviously so near the end, but I have to tell myself that if nobody else in his family was willing to buy them for him, then I had no business doing it.

Seeing someone in that condition can really make you think about things.

Back