Max. Fermentation Temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimiGibbs

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
As summer rolls around, I have started thinking about the temperature in my closet where I keep my primary and secondary fermentors. Even with the AC on the temperatures sometimes reach 74° during the heat of the day. I'm using the Munton's Active Brewing Yeast that comes with my Ale kits. At what temperature do I need to start worrying about "off flavors"? Is it time to start thinking about a fermentation fridge? Then I could do lagers ....
Thanks,
Jimi

JimiGibbs said:
As summer rolls around, I have started thinking about the temperature in my closet where I keep my primary and secondary fermentors. Even with the AC on the temperatures sometimes reach 74° during the heat of the day. I'm using the Munton's Active Brewing Yeast that comes with my Ale kits. At what temperature do I need to start worrying about "off flavors"? Is it time to start thinking about a fermentation fridge? Then I could do lagers ....
Thanks,
Jimi

Have you measured the temps in the closet? They could be higher or lower than your thermostat reads. I'd monitor the temps before investing in new equipment.

JimiGibbs said:
Even with the AC on the temperatures sometimes reach 74° during the heat of the day.

This kinda cracked me up: we keep our thermostat at 77 or 78 in the summer. (Of course, when it's 100 outside, the AC runs a lot to keep the house at 78, so it's pretty comfortable.)

As cheesefood pointed out, the temp in the closet could be quite different than at the thermostat. And it almost certainly fluctuates less over the course of the day, unless it gets direct sunlight through a window or something.

You obviously keep the house pretty cool with the AC, so it probably wouldn't be hard to find a place where you could keep a bucket or carboy at 70 or less with a little ice and water bath or something.

No basement? That's what I use in the summer.

Back