bottle wine and mead in beer bottles with caps?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nathan

Reaction score
any reason not to do that? I suppose if the wine wasn't finished, it could carbonate.... Any other advice? SWMBO would like to try some wines, but just to see if she likes it, so doesn't want me to buy her a corker or anything fancy until she's sure. Also I got a boatload of honey from one of the best master beekeepers in the world and would like to make and bottle some mead.

I've bottled Apfelwein but I did add priming sugar to get some carbonation. I don't see any reason to not bottle still wine though, as long as you know it is finished.

If you search this (in the wine Forum) you will immediately realize the consensus that aesthetics is the only reason NOT to bottle in beer bottles. It simply does not look as nice. In fact, most of the time, beer bottles make more sense due to the smaller size. You'll waste less.

I do most of my mead in beer bottles. SWMBO and myself just can't drink a wine bottle of mead in an evening. so 12oz is convenient.

I've always disliked how big wine bottles are. Wines have higher abv% and they are in bigger bottles. Makes no sense. I like red, but swmbo doesn't, so I rarely get to drink the stuff because the 750mL size is too much for one night.

I say you ditch getting the corker even if you do end up getting into winemaking. You can still use those 22oz rogue/great divide bottles for larger occasions.

I've always disliked how big wine bottles are. Wines have higher abv% and they are in bigger bottles. Makes no sense. I like red, but swmbo doesn't, so I rarely get to drink the stuff because the 750mL size is too much for one night.

I say you ditch getting the corker even if you do end up getting into winemaking. You can still use those 22oz rogue/great divide bottles for larger occasions.

They do make 375 ml wine bottles, and I use them often. It's about a glass and a half of wine, or two small glasses. The perfect size for me for dinner. Still, beer bottles work fine and no reason to not use them that I can think of. Unless it's a great big wine that needs to age for 5 years or something like that.

Latest posts

Back