Sight Tube leaking - Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

riored4v

Reaction score
Need some assistance with my sight tube I installed in my keggle.

I filled it up last night to check for leaks and the only thing leaking was the sight tube. It appears to be leaking from where it goes through the keg and also where the sight tube itself is inserted into the T.

I tried adding an extra washer on the outside and inside of the keg, but i still seem to be leaking a tad.

I also tried tightening and loosening the sight tube and didn't seem to stop the leaks.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Mine dribbles a bit until the kettle warms up.

Keep in mind too, that you can overtighten these things and trash the gaskets.

I thought I may have overtightened the first time around because the it was still a really lose fit on the keg. I came back on here and read that some people added washers to fix it, so i tore it back apart and the gaskets still appeared to be in good shape so I tried it again w/o tightening to hard this time, just to get a nice snug fit on the keg and it still dribbled.

My best advice on weldless fittings is to install the inside parts first. Put the Oring on the nipple, slide a few washers on, then tighten the coupling on. If the Oring is still over threads, you need more washers. If the Oring sits over threads, the half-a$$ workaround is to fill the threads in with teflon tape. Not my prefered method if you're asking.

On the sight into the fitting piece, what did they use as a ferrule under the nut? Oring? You can add another Oring in there...

I'm not sure of the exact word, but it's some sort of compression fitting for the sight tube. It slides on the tube, and then a nut squeezes down onto it as you tighten it to the T.

The O-ring for the nipple should be against the keg correct? Basically what you're saying is that when I slide the nipple through the keg to the outside, i want to only really see maybe one thread poking through the outside? Should I put more washers on the inside or outside? Right now I have 2 washers inside and outside.

any other ideas for fixing this?

leaving work here in a couple hours and want to have a few ideas to take home so i can hopefully get it fixed.

Back