Yeast Health

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottfro

Reaction score
So I brewed a Pale Ale a month or two ago with some yeast (wyeast 1272) I cultured from a slant I made. It fermented really weakly and slow but attenuated well in the end. The beer turned out really tasty. I saved the trub from this batch and a friend used the trub and it worked okay for him as well. I also saved two mason jars of this yeast that I washed from this batch and decided to pitch some in a start to see what would happen. I'd say the mason jar had about 1/2" of yeast in the bottom of it, which I pitched into 500mL of starter.

Now I can't say for sure where its sitting yet as far as gravity goes but it appears to behaving similar, sluggish, not vigorous fermentation. I figured a huge amount of yeast would get this thing going really vigorous very quickly.

Is this a sign that the yeast health is low? Can yeast be brought back from these conditions or is it just best to dump it and start fresh?

starters don't always have real vigorous fermentation. the real purpose is to get the yeast to grow, and that phase of their life just isn't real bubbly.

that's just my two cents.

yeah thats a good point. none the less shouldn't the starter ferment out all the way pretty quick with a whole bunch of yeast?

Back