Rice Maltose

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

solidghost

Reaction score
Anyone tried using Rice Maltose instead of brewing sugars? Seems very cheap and it feels and smells exactly like the barley malt we are all so used to. Do you guys think it is a good alternative to brewing sugars?

Since it's mainly maltose rather than dextrose, it might actually taste better. However, it would be a good idea to find out how much is complex carbohydrates, some forms can run 30% or more.

I'd say, run an experiment and get back to us.

My friend had used rice maltose for his brew, he added about 2.5kg of rice maltose and he said it taste like sake!

But for beer brewing purposes, perhaps 1kg of rice maltose can really add some distinct flavours to the brew? I think I will try it with 500g or 1kg of rice maltose in my next brew.

If it is the same thing as rice solids, I've used them as a barley malt substitute a few times, for the same reason that the big commercial brewers use it - to get a lighter flavor and color in my beer. I use them for fruit beers along with a light hops load so that the fruit flavor and color is not drowned out.

I have not used them as priming sugar substitute (as one might infer from the original question). I don't think they would be suitable for this - in my experience they do not produce a nice tight, compact sediment layer; the left-overs tend to stay suspended. This can be managed by an extended stay in a secondary or tertiary stage but I think that the normal bottle setting would leave too much cloudiness, and the sediment would be too easily stirred up (for my tastes anyway).

Do you guys boil the rice maltose in the wort? Or do you add them like sugars?

Back