Ruby Red Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RandySparrow

Reaction score
Hi, first post, I'm brewing in the UK but thought I'd try posting here to see if you guy's can help me out with this...

I've been really impressed with bottles of St Peter's Ruby Red Ale that I've had recently and I'd like to have a go brewing something similar. The bottle says 'subtle malt undertones and a distinctive spicy hop aroma from styrian goldings' I definately get the styrians but also get some cloves and a fruity raisin like flavour (which I understand can come from special B along with the red colour) I've also managed to get a red hint by using small amounts (~1.5%) chocolate malt so I've come up with this:

4750gm Pale Malt 93.5%
260gm Special B Malt 5%
80gm Chocolate Malt 1.5%
45gm Northdown [7.90 %] (90 min) Hops ~ 35 IBU
50gm Styrian Goldings [3.30 %] (15 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep) Hops

Having never used special B before I don't know if this is too much/too little i've just gone with the beersmith colour guide so i'm open to suggestions to tweak this recipe before I plunder in and brew up!

Also I'd like to try using a liquid yeast, can anyone point me in the direction of a yeast that might give the 'cloves' that I've picked up on?

I'd be grateful for any pointers. Thanks!

I used a pound of special-B for an old-ale. Adds a very sweet fruity flavor, which seemed well suited for the style. Seems to add lots of unfermentable dextrins, etc.

Not sure if that is something you would want in a red ale, but whatever comes out looks like it will be pretty good.

nick

Hmm I think I might split the Special B with some dark crystal, using dark crystal has been recommended by someone else.

Back