Alaskan Smoked Porter Clone--Wanted

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan_PA

Reaction score
I searched the site, and only came to find this reference:

In the September, 2005 issue of BYO on page 56, there is an AG recipe for Alaskan Smoked Porter clone from Alaskan Brewing

I was curious if anyone has access to this issue, or any other ability to put the recipe and any info about the smoking process online. I was hoping to brew this before winter hits.

Thanks.

Oh, I know I need to smoke with Alder wood, so I am having my father in law grab a pack at Cabela's this week.

I may have that issue at home. I save all of my issues. I'll take a look tonight and let you know.

Alaskan Smoked Porter was the inspiration for smoked porter I did. I didn't realize that BYO had published a recipe, that would have made it easier for me... anyway, I'm still trying to tweak the recipe as it didn't come out as smoky as I wanted it, and it was too much alcohol. I ended up using rauchmalt for the smoke.

Just an FYI, didn't forget. When I got home last night, I got a call from someone needing assistance on the highway with a broken-down car and I went to help. That ate up my night.

I'll be looking for it tonight!

I'm looking at the December '07 BYO right now and the Alaskan Smoked Porter Clone is indeed on page 33

Brewtopia said:
I'm looking at the December '07 BYO right now and the Alaskan Smoked Porter Clone is indeed on page 33
Damn, the Dec. issue must've just been mailed out, b/c I haven't gotten it yet.:mad: I just got the Nov. '07 issue with Brutus on the cover a couple weeks ago. Damn USPS!

Brewt00l did PM me the recipe from the older edition, I am curious to see if it differs from this newer one.

Ryan_PA said:
I do not have the Dec. one yet. The last one I got was the projects special edition.

Guess we better both check our mailboxes when we get home!

What I want to know is: how come Yooper, who lives practically in polar bear country where you need mukluks and a snowmobile to get around, gets hers on time, yet me, a guy living in a major metropolitan area, is still left waiting?! That is not right!

Ryan_PA said:
I searched the site, and only came to find this reference:

Oh, I know I need to smoke with Alder wood, so I am having my father in law grab a pack at Cabela's this week.

Just curious, are you planning on smoking some salmon before the malt?

Please post this recipe! I have dreamed of making a smoked porter as good as this one! I have been to Alaskan Brewing Co twice where they had it .on tap. There is nothing better.

Sorry guys, I just looked and it appears that recipe was on my old hard drive that crashed. Perhaps someone else has it handy. I smoked the malt myself, and this beer took up to 18 months to finally smooth out.

From the 2007 BYO magazine Alaskan Smoked Porter recipe.

8.75 lbs american 2row
4.0 lbs american munich malt
1.25 lbs american chocolate malt
.5 lbs american black malt

11aau chinook hops (60 min)
1.0 oz willamette (10 min)

Wyeast 1272 or white labs WLP051

Smole entire grain bill over alder wood. (as an alternative you an substitue Weymermann rauchmalz for the pale malt and munich malt. Mash at 153 f in 18 qts for 60 minutes. Boil for 60 minutes and ferment at 66f.

Enjoy!!!!!

Also.... the 2005 BYO Alaskan Smoked Porter clone
OG = 1.065 FG= 1.015
IBU = 45 SRM = 58 ABV = 6.5%

8.25 lbs 2 row
4.0 lbs munich malt
12 oz crystal (45 lov)
11 oz chocolate malt
7 oz black patent
10.75 AAU Chinook hops (60 min)
3.75 AAU Willimette hops (15 min)

Wyeast 1968 (London ESB) or White labs WLP002 (English Ale Yeast)
.75 cup of sugar for priming

Smoke 1.0 lb of the munich malt with alder wood. Mash at 154 F. Boil for 90 minutes and ferment at 68f

There is an extract version also if anybody is intrested...

also.... The 2005 byo alaskan smoked porter clone
og = 1.065 fg= 1.015
ibu = 45 srm = 58 abv = 6.5%

8.25 lbs 2 row
4.0 lbs munich malt
12 oz crystal (45 lov)
11 oz chocolate malt
7 oz black patent
10.75 aau chinook hops (60 min)
3.75 aau willimette hops (15 min)

wyeast 1968 (london esb) or white labs wlp002 (english ale yeast)
.75 cup of sugar for priming

smoke 1.0 lb of the munich malt with alder wood. Mash at 154 f. Boil for 90 minutes and ferment at 68f

there is an extract version also if anybody is intrested...

ya whats the extract recipe ???

The extract with grains is as follows.....
Replace the munich malt with 2.25 lbs dried malt extract, 4.75 lbs liquid malt extract, and 1.25 lbs munich malt. Smoke 1 lb of the munich malt. Heat 4.7 qts of water to 165f and steep crushed grains at 154f for 45 minutes.rindse with 3.5 qts of water at 170f. Add dried malt extract and water to make 2.5 gallons of wort. Boil for 60 minutes adding hops at times indicated and liquid malt with 15 minutes remaining. Cool, wort, transfer to fermenter and add water to make five gallons. Aerate wort, pitch yeast and ferment at 68f.

Hope that this helps......

Latest posts

Back