How much ginger root?/partigyle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How much ginger root for a noticeable but background flavor?

• 1 oz

• 2 oz

• 3 oz

• 4+ oz

Results are only viewable after voting.

KeyWestBrewing

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Im planning on brewing an IPA and would like to use enough fresh ginger to compliment the grapefruit flavor of the Simcoe and Cascade hops I'll be using. It seems like every thread on here has inconsistent amounts to use so Im taking a poll. On a side note, after sparging I was wondering if I could sourmash and partigyle a sour with the second runnings, any thoughts, opinions, or advice? Heres the grain bill... 15# 2Row , .5 # C60.

I recently used 1 tsp chopped fresh ginger at flameout in a 4.6 gal pumpkin beer (with 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice mix) and there's a noticeable ginger flavor. Some may not realize what it is, but once you know, it's very apparent. I'd say that using 2 tsp would be very strong and you'd really have to like ginger. 0.5 tsp would probably be subtle. It takes very very little!

That's what I'll go with then. I'm thinking by your advice 1 tsp is what I'm looking for. I want it to be noticeable, but play well off the citrus/grapefruit flavor and aroma of the hops. In my head I'm thinking somewhat of a Shiner Ruby Redbird in the form of an IPA.

Glad I could help. And just to clarify 1 tsp ... keep in mind that fresh chopped ginger is pretty spongy. So I packed it into a little 1 tsp measuring spoon, not too tight, not too loose.

Back