My favorite country songs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan

I’m not wrong. I’m left handwriting
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey all. About to post some of my favorite old time classic country songs. You tube vids and lyrics to follow for the first few.

EDIT 5/4/2012 Since the original post 230 songs have been added from people here on HBT. I'd just like to say thank you for those who have posted and to those who enjoyed but didn't post.

Feel free to post your favorite music here.

Thank you,

Dan

Boy named Sue Johnny Cash

My daddy left home when I was three
And he didn't leave much to ma and me
Just this old guitar and an empty bottle of booze.
Now, I don't blame him cause he run and hid
But the meanest thing that he ever did
Was before he left, he went and named me "Sue."

Well, he must o' thought that is quite a joke
And it got a lot of laughs from a' lots of folk,
It seems I had to fight my whole life through.
Some gal would giggle and I'd get red
And some guy'd laugh and I'd bust his head,
I tell ya, life ain't easy for a boy named "Sue."

Well, I grew up quick and I grew up mean,
My fist got hard and my wits got keen,
I'd roam from town to town to hide my shame.
But I made a vow to the moon and stars
That I'd search the honky-tonks and bars
And kill that man who gave me that awful name.

Well, it was Gatlinburg in mid-July
And I just hit town and my throat was dry,
I thought I'd stop and have myself a brew.
At an old saloon on a street of mud,
There at a table, dealing stud,
Sat the dirty, mangy dog that named me "Sue."

Well, I knew that snake was my own sweet dad
From a worn-out picture that my mother'd had,
And I knew that scar on his cheek and his evil eye.
He was big and bent and gray and old,
And I looked at him and my blood ran cold
And I said: "My name is 'Sue!' How do you do!
Now your gonna die!!"

Well, I hit him hard right between the eyes
And he went down, but to my surprise,
He come up with a knife and cut off a piece of my ear.
But I busted a chair right across his teeth
And we crashed through the wall and into the street
Kicking and a' gouging in the mud and the blood and the beer.

I tell ya, I've fought tougher men
But I really can't remember when,
He kicked like a mule and he bit like a crocodile.
I heard him laugh and then I heard him cuss,
He went for his gun and I pulled mine first,
He stood there lookin' at me and I saw him smile.

And he said: "Son, this world is rough
And if a man's gonna make it, he's gotta be tough
And I knew I wouldn't be there to help ya along.
So I give ya that name and I said goodbye
I knew you'd have to get tough or die
And it's the name that helped to make you strong."

He said: "Now you just fought one hell of a fight
And I know you hate me, and you got the right
To kill me now, and I wouldn't blame you if you do.
But ya ought to thank me, before I die,
For the gravel in ya guts and the spit in ya eye
Cause I'm the son-of-a-***** that named you "Sue.'"

I got all choked up and I threw down my gun
And I called him my pa, and he called me his son,
And I came away with a different point of view.
And I think about him, now and then,
Every time I try and every time I win,
And if I ever have a son, I think I'm gonna name him
Bill or George! Anything but Sue! I still hate that name!

Amanda Waylon Jennings

I've held it all inward, God knows, I've tried,
But it's an awful awakening in a country boy's life,
To look in the mirror in total surprise.
At the hair on my shoulders and the age in my eyes.

Amanda, light of my life.
Fate should have made you a gentleman's wife.

It's a measure of people who don't understand,
The pleasures of life in a hillbilly band.
I got my first guitar when I was fourteen,
Well I finally made forty, still wearing jeans.

Mama Don't Let Your Babies to Grow Up to be Cobows Willie Nelson and Waylon Jennings.

Mamas, don't let your babies grow up to be cowboys
Don't let 'em pick guitars and drive them old trucks
Make 'em be doctors and lawyers and such

They'll never stay home and they're always alone
Even with someone they love

Cowboys ain't easy to love and they're harder to hold
And they'd rather give you a song than diamonds or gold
Lonestar belt buckles and old faded Levis

And each night begins a new day
And if you don't understand him and he don't die young
You'll probably just ride away

Cowboys like smoky old pool rooms, clear mountain mornings
Little warm puppies and children, girls of the night
And them that don't know him won't like him and them that do

Sometimes won't know how to take him
He ain't wrong, he's just different but his pride won't let him
Do things to make you think he's right

I have a few more coming if you're up to it, not going to include the lyrics. :D

Georgia on my mind Willie Nelson - Ray Charles

Family Tradition Hank Williams Jr

Waylon Jennings & Hank Williams Jr - The Conversation

A bit more recent but here's a rendition from a couple good old boys on Billy Carrington's God is Great I think they did a swell job. and love this song.

Probably my all time favorite!!

God Bless the USA! Lee Greenwood.

Last edited by a moderator:
Now, I don't like country music as it is today. Not one bit, and I can't even stand a note.

But.........Johnny Cash, Waylon, Willie, Hank Sr, and even Faron Young and Townes Van Zandt all play a role in my favorites.

Better yet, Patsy Cline singing my favorite Willie Nelson song:

Now, I don't like country music as it is today. Not one bit, and I can't even stand a note.

But.........Johnny Cash, Waylon, Willie, Hank Sr, and even Faron Young and Townes Van Zandt all play a role in my favorites.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-wJNpWgss8

Yep, I know what you're saying Yopper. Patsy Kline was a wonderful singer and I should have put more Johnny Cash at the top of the list as well. That man never made a song I didn't absolutely love or like. He was one of the greatest country/blues singers ever!

Him, Waylon Jennings, Willie Nelson and Hank Williams Jr (who I consider a great country singer which appeals to my rebell side) are some IMHO of the best country singers ever.

Didn't listen to many Hank Sr's song much, maybe I should and not sure at all who Faron Young or Townes Van Zandt are but will look them up.. YouTube is fantastic for this!

The Statlor Brothers! Old school for sure. Good pick young man.

Oh man, I grew up on the Statler Brothers. I can't stand modern country, but the music these guys and their contemporaries made is some of my favorite ever.

Not quite country, but The Limeliters are right up there, too.

Oh man, I grew up on the Statler Brothers. I can't stand modern country, but the music these guys and their contemporaries made is some of my favorite ever.

Not quite country, but The Limeliters are right up there, too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FakIaWVelE

Just Wow!

Great video. I'm going to have to write those guys down on my list to look up.

Thanks urbamyth!

Yep, I know what you're saying Yopper. Patsy Kline was a wonderful singer and I should have put more Johnny Cash at the top of the list as well. That man never made a song I didn't absolutely love or like. He was one of the greatest country/blues singers ever!

Him, Waylon Jennings, Willie Nelson and Hank Williams Jr (who I consider a great country singer which appeals to my rebell side) are some IMHO of the best country singers ever.

Didn't listen to many Hank Sr's song much, maybe I should and not sure at all who Faron Young or Townes Van Zandt are but will look them up.. YouTube is fantastic for this!

Townes Van Zandt is sort of in the tradition of Hank Sr, long gone now. And Faron Young (who my parents dragged me to see at the Grand Ole Opry in about 1970) has a voice very much like Ray Price or Darrel McCall.

Speaking of Darrell McCall, I saw him last spring and he looked and sounded great and was still touring in a small area. He was promoting his niece, Amber Digby, and his friend Justin Trevino.

Justin is a young guy, maybe late 30s, who does "old country" and I LOVE him. He doesn't tour much, even in Texas where we spend the winters, but we saw him last winter. He's blind, but I didn't realize it until he didn't see me. Duh! Anyway, I'll find something that I love by Justin Trevino, because he's the "old country" in the best and purest sense.

No problem! I highly recommend the albums "Tonight! In Person" and "Slightly Fabulous Limeliters." They are leaps and bounds better live than in the studio. The banter the bassist comes up with in between songs is unmatched.

My wife put on the country music awards. Some dude in a green jacket was on stage with a beer. Or rather, a fake beer mug. I'm calling it. Fake. Pretty sure it was one of those two wall mugs with yellow water in the middle.

No head. No lacing. No bubbles. The amount didn't go down after he took a few sips and in a side shot it looked like the mug was really empty. Like you could see it was liquid in between the walls. Weak.

Not that old, but not that new either.... still one of my favorites!

Thank you all for the responses. I have to look up some the recommendations.

Getting a bit late now and I have to hit the sack..

Goodnight ya'll.

:mug:

Dan

I can't tell you how happy I am after clicking this.

I honestly thought I would going to see links to Rascal Flatts and Keith Urban videos. Or one of the 345987345872345 new "country" songs about how cool it is to be a redneck.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Geg6_-3jPzI"]Darryl Worley- Sounds Like Life To Me[/ame] Motorcycles are cool.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06o-EYH9svs&ob=av2n"]Sara Evans-- Suds in the Bucket[/ame]

I know they aren't all old classics, but neither am I ;)

Here's a song I remember waking up to while visiting my great-grandmother in Fort Davis, TX.

I'm in the wrong thread. I dont like country music in general, old or new, but I do enjoy Buffett, and more recently, SOME Kenny Chesney, and Zach Brown types when they are singing sun, sand, and summer. They find their way on the mix with some Marley when we head to the Cape for our summer vaca.

My favorite is "Loved ma sister in ma truck" by Chet Yoklin. Those dulcet tones get me every time.

Listening to Willie as I speak, 'Me and Paul.' When I'm just hanging out it seems appropriately ... well, apropos. And now Johnny Cash shows up, 'Home of the Blues', extremely apropos, as I don't want to go to work in the morning... :eek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-wJNpWgss8

Yooper, there is lots of great country music out there, you will just never hear it on "country" radio. Guys that don't have names like "dierks"..... not these millionaires driving bentleys and singing about driving the backroads in thier old pick'm-up trucks.... makes me sick.

Guys like Dale Watson:

Hellbound Glory

and of course that dirty ol one man band from Austin Texas, Scott H. Biram :rockin:

Couple more from my buddy Scott, I have had the pleasure of seeing Scott in concert several times over the past two years and he is as cool as guy as you will ever meet..... and SWMBO is in love, proves the old truth, chicks love guys with guitars! haha!

Oh, and since this is a thread about old country, I'll submit one of mine! Here's another great example of a time that the talent and the voice was certainly more important than the singer looking like an affliction model. Gary Stewart was definitely no looker, but what a cool voice.

I have been lucky enough to catch Merle and George in concert the past couple of years, and they are still doing it right!

Bill Curringtion-people are crazy,pretty good at drinkin beer(people are crazy happened with me & an old man at ford that played spoons at the Grand Ol Opery. He had so much heart!)
Montgomery Gentry (Bobby Gentry's boy)-speed
Hank Williams-just about anything
Willy Nelson-always on my mind,angel flying too close to the ground (for my wife)
Charlie Pride-All I have to offer you is me (what pop said to mom when he proposed!)
Loretta Lynn-coalminer's daughter (I'm the son),don't come home a drinkin,...several more
Charlie Ryan-Hot rod lincoln,Burlington chase,hot rod hades,hot rod race,side car cycle,glitterin steel (I have the old 1961 Hot Rod Lincoln Drags Again)
Elvis-Kentucky Rain (been there,done that)
Flatt & Scruggs-foggy mountain breakdown (good country corner burnin tune)
soggy bottom boys-man of constant sorrow
Frankie Lane-rawhide
Charlie Daniels-simple man
John Denver-country roads
Patsy cline-walkin after midnight,crazy,...
I'm sure there's more I forget atm...like songs from Lefty Frizzel,Charlie Daniels...

I'm still home with "the plague" (pneumonia, of all things) so I'm whiny, bored, and out of sorts. One thing I just came across on Spotify is what I think is probably my favorite Johnny Cash song but sung this time by his daughter at his memorial.

Alabama- I'm In A Hurry

Garth Brooks-- Calling Baton Rouge

Darryl Worley- Sounds Like Life To Me

Sara Evans-- Suds in the Bucket

I know they aren't all old classics, but neither am I ;)

Thanks Getzinator! All great picks. I especially like Darryl Worley's Sounds Like Life to Me

:mug:

If only I were smart enough to post a you tube link...

Statler Brothers, Flowers on the Wall

counting flowers on the wall,
that don't bother me at all,
playing Solitaire til dawn,
with a deck of 51,
smoking cigarettes and watching Captain Kangaroo,
now don't tell me I've nothing to do

Can't help but stop, listen and enjoy when this comes on-

+1 to the Cash, Coe, and Willie!

Oh, and since this is a thread about old country, I'll submit one of mine! Here's another great example of a time that the talent and the voice was certainly more important than the singer looking like an affliction model. Gary Stewart was definitely no looker, but what a cool voice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rh-KEYAN9dg&feature=related

I have been lucky enough to catch Merle and George in concert the past couple of years, and they are still doing it right!

CW, thanks for your contributions to this thread. I've never heard of the singers you posted until .. you posted!

Gary Stewart.. what an old time classical country music voice! :mug:

Great links Ceedubya! Gotta love the PBR salute in the last one! :D

a Biram show is definitly a PBR crowd. Although, the first time I saw him was in Austin and I was drinking Shiner Bock. And I just saw him last month in Missoula and he was drinking a Cold Smoke Sotch Ale :mug:

I'm in the wrong thread. I dont like country music in general, old or new, but I do enjoy Buffett, and more recently, SOME Kenny Chesney, and Zach Brown types when they are singing sun, sand, and summer. They find their way on the mix with some Marley when we head to the Cape for our summer vaca.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lB8Nkn3Xjes&ob=av2n

Barneygumble maybe you posted in the wrong thread but I'm sure glad you did! What a great music video. Thank you! :mug:

Listening to Willie as I speak, 'Me and Paul.' When I'm just hanging out it seems appropriately ... well, apropos. And now Johnny Cash shows up, 'Home of the Blues', extremely apropos, as I don't want to go to work in the morning... :eek:

Thanks Dawnhulio. Great songs! :mug:

Willie Nelson performs "Me and Paul" at the Farm Aid concert in Louisville, Kentucky on October 1st, 1995. Farm Aid was started by Willie Nelson, Neil Young and John Mellencamp in 1985 to keep family farmers on the land and has worked since then to make sure everyone has access to good food from family farmers. Dave Matthews joined Farm Aid's board of directors in 2001.

Bill Curringtion-people are crazy,pretty good at drinkin beer
Montgomery Gentry (Bobby Gentry's boy)-speed
Hank Williams-just about anything
Willy Nelson-always on my mind,angel flying too close to the ground (for my wife)
Charlie Pride-All I have to offer you is me (what pop said to mom when he proposed!)
Loretta Lynn-coalminer's daughter (I'm the son),don't come home a drinkin,...several more
Charlie Ryan-Hot rod lincoln,Burlington chase,hot rod hades,hot rod race,side car cycle,glitterin steel (I have the old 1961 Hot Rod Lincoln Drags Again)
Elvis-Kentucky Rain (been there,done that)
Flatt & Scruggs-foggy mountain breakdown (good country corner burnin tune)
soggy bottom boys-man of constant sorrow
Frankie Lane-rawhide
Charlie Daniels-simple man
John Denver-country roads
Patsy cline-walkin after midnight,crazy,...
I'm sure there's more I forget atm...like songs from Lefty Frizzel,Charlie Daniels...

That's a long list. How about some videos? :mug:

CW, thanks for your contributions to this thread. I've never heard of the singers you posted until .. you posted!

Gary Stewart.. what an old time classical country music voice! :mug:

I am a huge country music fan, and it means a lot to me. Unfortunately it has become a diluted, corporate ran, money machine pumping out the same crap from people who know nothing about the real country, and the hardships of middle america (you know, the people they are supposedly singing about). Just throw in a few keywords: pickup, dirt road, haybales, etc. and an electric guitar with a huge light show and you have a "country" song. Country has gone pop, and I think people are growing tired of it....... at least I have. I hope that country is where rock was in the late '80's early '90's and it will soon be cleaned out with a giant enema.

and as I step down off my soapbox here's a few more! :mug:

Eleven Hundred Springs is a great honky tonk band from texas, love em :ban:

Possessed by Paul James is another great act from texas. His last album was called "feed the family" cuz thats all he is trying to do. gotta respect that

and finally, one more OLDIE! I am a HUGE Hank Williams fan (in fact a fan of all III) but people often overlook Lefty Frizzell another huge innovator and influence on lots of my favorites like merle, George, and Willie

Flowers on the Wall-

Thanks for the posting tips Dan! Who says beer can't make you smarter!

Back