Storing CO2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flyin1500

Reaction score
Howdy!

I read somewhere that having your CO2 tank anything but vertical is a bad idea. I usually have mine in a horizontal position in the fridge. Is this bad? Discuss.:mug:

yes it is bad. there is liquid in the cylinder. if you have it on its side, the liquid will come out and probably ruin the regulator.

The main difference between a beverage CO2 tank and a fire extinguisher is that the extinguisher has a dip tube going to the bottom, to dispense liquid CO2. If you put your tank on the side, you are turning it into a fire extinguisher, and dispensing liquid CO2.

Thanks for the replies. I guess I figured it would still be gas under pressure and not go to liquid. I have since readjusted my configuration so the tank is upright. Cheers!

If horizontal is better for you you can ask your gas supplier to provide you a tank with an anti-siphon tube installed. You can (must) then lay the tank on its side but have to ensure that the pickup tube is pointed up to keep it from drawing liquid.

Back