Efficiency Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

owentp

Reaction score
So, I have done a little reading to understand efficiency. Let me see if I got this right. I brewed yesterday, recipe OG called for 1.046, I got 1.066 after the boil. If I did my math correct.....that would be 98% efficiency? Or can you not tell until your FG?

Any input would be great to help me understand this.

Did you take the temp after it had cooled? Or did you try to calculate the gravity change depending on the temperature you measured it at?

if you want an input put a recipe with grain bill, volumes of strike, sparge, pre and post boil, without this i can only say you made a mistake in your calculation

#10 british pale malt, #1 crystal 60L. Strike water 3.5 gal but added about 1 gal due to mash temp was low. Batch sparged 4 gal. Preboil 1st gravity 1.074, 2nd runnings 1.024.

actually when i use your numbers in my software OG at 1.066 in 5gal gives 80% efficiency not 98% (it would be og 1.082 if 98%), so i guess you good, you just got nice efficiency

Back