Flip top bottle rubber ring gone bad.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Akavango

Reaction score
I recently opened a few bottle with a flip top. The rubber ring was glued solid to the top. I tried to remove it so I can fit new ones but it is really hard to remove it all.

Is there some sort of solution that can be used to soften the rubber ring in order to make it easier to remove it when it has gone bad?
Thanks

Thanks will try it next time. Not sure if I can find oxyclean in Ireland.

In this case I think the heat is more important than the Oxyclean. Likely a good soak in any hot water and mild cleaner will work as well.

They need to be replaced about every 6 brews. They may not look like they are bad but thats a good sign to change them all out.

Alternatively go to your local pound shop or whatever they have in ireland that sells anything and everything cheap...head to the kitchen section and you should be able to find cheap silicone cake moulds...get one without the dimples in..say a big square one and simply cut some new seals from the silicone sheet...use you old ones as a template..use permanent marker to draw around and use some sharp scissors to carefully create new silicone seals which dont stick and lasts ages!...u can just buy em off flea bay but where's the fun in that?

heres an example of what am talking about...looks like tin but its thin flexible silicone rubber..

http://www.asia.ru/en/ProductInfo/968839.html

Alternatively go to your local pound shop or whatever they have in ireland that sells anything and everything cheap...head to the kitchen section and you should be able to find cheap silicone cake moulds...get one without the dimples in..say a big square one and simply cut some new seals from the silicone sheet...use you old ones as a template..use permanent marker to draw around and use some sharp scissors to carefully create new silicone seals which dont stick and lasts ages!...u can just buy em off flea bay but where's the fun in that?

heres an example of what am talking about...looks like tin but its thin flexible silicone rubber..

http://www.asia.ru/en/ProductInfo/968839.html

I may have to do that, my local hbs is out of them.

Back