How many brews do you get out of a propane tank?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hebby5

Reaction score
I know this will vary greatly.

I heat my mash and sparge water on the stove. I heat about 6.5 Gal of wort on my turkey fryer/propane burner (45min or so) and then boil for 60 min. I've done 2 AG batches this way. Trying to figure out if I need to get another propane tanks for my next brew.

Thoughts?

As usual, thanks and Ho Ho Ho.

Chris

I was thinking about this a little while ago myself! I have two tanks that I rotate out, it works out well for not having any way to gauge it. I get 4-5 brews from a tank. That's AG as well.

I was thinking about weighing each one of them the next time they are empty and then again when they are full and keeping track of them.

I got more than ten batches to a (15lb?) tank when I was mashing indoors on the stove. Now that I'm mashing with propane, it's more like 3 to 5. I try not to boil too aggressively, maybe just a gallon per hour of boiloff.

I have never tried to brew inside a propane tank... It sounds dangerous, just like glass carboys... stay away.. :)

3 brews/tank... I use propane for every step... strike, mash-out, sparge, sparge, boil.

It's hard to say. Usually I use it for 3 batches then my grill runs empty in the middle of a meal so I steal my brew tank and rotate it to the grill.

Wow, I get 5 or 6, but then I'm doing small batches. Ten min to heat 2.75 gallons to mash temp, then 1 hour boiling 2.5 down to 1.75. Maybe more. I just bought a new tank and weighted it.

New = 32.5 lbs
Empty = 17 lbs

Ya gotta always have a spare on hand.

I must be doing something wrong, or else the Rhino short sell is still on. I get two 90 minute boils out of a tank, then use what is left in that tank to heat strike and cleaning water on the next batch or two. So, I'm pretty much getting a refill after two batches.

TrainSafe said:
It's hard to say. Usually I use it for 3 batches then my grill runs empty in the middle of a meal so I steal my brew tank and rotate it to the grill.

Ha!! Same here :)

I only boil on propane, if I AG I heat all mash water on the stove, then move the kettle outside to boil. I probably get 6-8 60 minute boils, give or take. I know it seems like I get enough as a I don't get pissed when it's time to get the tanks refilled. I'd love to go electric, but there doesn't seem to be an easy way to do 5 gallon boils without buying some insane controller.

Makes me feel better as I think I onlybget 3 tob4 brews out of a tank. I am currently using the blichmann burner and although people said it spends less propane I am using about the same but the water does heat up much quicker.

What do you pay for a full tank refill? Here on O`ahu HD charges $20 for a refill. Drop off the empty pick up a full one. Starting fresh it's something like $40 for a full tank.

What do you pay for a full tank refill? Here on O`ahu HD charges $20 for a refill. Drop off the empty pick up a full one. Starting fresh it's something like $40 for a full tank.

Typically it's $20.

Peak season at some rip-off place will try and get you for close to $30.

Off-season I've seen it as low as $15.

I think the HD here (PA) is around $17 for a tank exchange but I suspect the tanks aren't completely full.

Thanks for the 411 everyone. BTW, I pay about $22 for a refill. Thinking about getting a 2nd tank for the hot swap if needed.

Merry Christmas!

Chris

just a heads up. all of the exchange places are now filling to 15 lbs. if you find a place that fills your tank for you, make sure your getting 20lbs.

My family owns a small propane company here in PA. You wouldn't believe how many people have no idea that they are only getting 15lbs from the exchange companies. The tank is built to hold 20 lbs of propane. The 15 lb fill started when they didnt want to increase prices one summer so they went to 17 from 20, keeping the same price. the next year it was 15.

Do yourself a favor and look around for a local place that fills them.

jonp9576 said:
just a heads up. all of the exchange places are now filling to 15 lbs. if you find a place that fills your tank for you, make sure your getting 20lbs.

My family owns a small propane company here in PA. You wouldn't believe how many people have no idea that they are only getting 15lbs from the exchange companies. The tank is built to hold 20 lbs of propane. The 15 lb fill started when they didnt want to increase prices one summer so they went to 17 from 20, keeping the same price. the next year it was 15.

Do yourself a favor and look around for a local place that fills them.

That short fill sure is stupid. Our local swap place fills to 17lbs but they put a big label on there telling you so. You'd think that would be required.

I hated worrying about propane. Switched to natural gas. Can't wait to brew tomorrow using it!

I'm on brew #6 with my 20 pounder and it seems about 1/4 left when I shake it. I do heat my strike water on the stove though. Heats really fast using 2 burners for 2 pots.

If I get 8 brews out of a tank and it's $18 to refill, its only a tad over $2 per batch. Not bad.

I get 8 6 gallon brews out of a tank. Filled for 11 bucks at Costco. Do all strike water and stuff on the stove though.

I get 4 to 5 sessions per 20lb tank. Heat and boil on the propane. Cost for 20lbs is $16 and change at the local COOP in Lansing, Kansas. I know I get 20lbs as they will set the tank on the scale, set the tare to zero and fill to 20lbs.

wow - i've done about 12+ AG batches now, several with 90min boils and am still on my 2nd fill - i use the burner to heat strike, sparge etc and even done a few boils with jars/water for washing yeast

I usually get 2-3 10 gallon batches (all grain) from one tank. Thanks for the head's up on the exchanges, I'll have to make sure I get them filled from now on...

Back