Topping off JAOM mead...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DawnofthWill

Reaction score
I started my first mead (JAOM) on Sept. 7th and have left it since. I now just read that by not topping it up with water after the majority of foaming has finished that there may be oxidization issues. Is it too late to top off? It is in a 4L milk jug with a bung/air lock in the top.

The head space in your jug should be full of carbon dioxide from fermentation so there's no oxygen in there unless you've opened it or the airlock dried out. Topping up now will add a little insurance though. Go for it.

JAOM isn't exactly fine wine, so a little oxidation isn't going to ruin it. Also, your first batch is a learning experience. I can almost guarantee it won't be your only batch. Do the best you can, learn from any mistakes, and try again.

Dave

Well I just stumbled upon this thread and thought an update might be warranted. You were right, that was most definitely not my only batch of mead. I've made several successful 1 gal batches, and am now brewing a 5 gal wild berry Melomel, step feeding honey while staggering nutrient additions. Already considering what to brew next.

Back