African Amber Carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vindee

Reaction score
I have an African Amber I'm getting ready to bottle and I have a 6 oz bag of DME. When I bought it, I was told to use the whole bag for my 5 gallons. It equates to 1 1/4 cups.
Do I use the whole thing or is that too much?
Also, do you need to boil it first before adding?
Thanks
Steve

That seems about right for 5 gallons of beer.

You should bring a couple of cups of water to a boil, turn off the heat, add the DME and boil it for a few minutes. Use a nice big pot so it doesn't boil over....(ask me how I know!).

Thanks guy's, I'll bottle tomorrow!
I hope I like the DME for this beer instead of corn sugar. Should be interesting.

The Mac & Jacks African Amber clone I do uses 6oz of DME for priming. It seems just about perfect for carbonation levels. Did you get your kit from NW Brewing supply in Anacortes possibly? Very helpful nice guys running that place, good prices too.:mug:

I make an african amber clone by mac and Jac and that is exactly the same ammount of dme I use for conditioning. It works great.

The Mac & Jacks African Amber clone I do uses 6oz of DME for priming. It seems just about perfect for carbonation levels. Did you get your kit from NW Brewing supply in Anacortes possibly? Very helpful nice guys running that place, good prices too.:mug:

Thanks for the confirmation. Bottled last night so we'll see.
I get my grains at Larry's Brewing Supply in Kent. It's a little closer to home for me.
The color was a little ligter than I was expecting, but F.G. was 1.007 and O.G. was 1.047. Is it usually hard to tell what you have tasting your beer at room temp and flat?

Back