The Dysfunctional-Palooza Obnoxious Masshole BS Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh just teasing you old guys... don’t take it too seriously. [emoji571]‍♀️
You want me to believe you’re not an old guy?

I got to do some leaf peeping last week on my way to give a training on stress in CT the day following the storm and felt lucky that the leaves weren’t all blown away.

Last edited:
Well I’d like to see the pour... I don’t see how black foam can be produced by whit beer unless some sort of blackened lipid is used. Yuck anyway.

She had a nice dog.

Getting ready for Halloween. Made my Spicy Mini Pumpkin candies for the neighborhood chillins.
IMG_0482.JPG

“Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until their death. I shall give no quarter, show no mercy, even for the children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher of the walls. I am the fire that burns against the cold, the light that brings the dawn, the horn that wakes the sleepers, the shield that guards this old house and it’s stone foundation. I pledge my life and honor to the Mice Watch, for this night and all the nights to come.”

IMG_0484.JPG

Looks like you have a nice old house, so yeah, mice control needed. They originally got in somewhere, some old foundation vent, your cat brings them in, what have you...it is a job to find the egress, before or after you dispatch the existing family...but at least you (hopefully) do not have rat wars.

Brings me back to a time when I was young and ....anyway, .... I lived in a old quanset hut for 4 years, rats came up from crawl space(which was the sump for a nearby parking lot) and mice were always around.

Plenty of room for rodents to romp between the two decaying wall layers(corrugated steel and cardboard like wallboard, between which someone had even tried to blow pulp insulation many years back, lol, as they say).

Learned to nail the rat traps to the floor where the water service came up, otherwise they'd die in the crawlspace, with associated odor for a couple of weeks or 'till I hooked them out (most of the time).

You knew you had a good ecosystem going when the rats ate most of the mice in the mouse traps up in the ceiling vents... wolf spiders crawling in on the nightshade vines that had somehow imposed their way though the rotting window trim....ah the good old days...

Jeezus, thats almost enough time to make one long for the good old days when we got endless stories about Hoppy’s cheerleader conquests. Now we’ve devolved to “My days as a semipro rat exterminator.”

When and how did this thread go so far off the rails?

View attachment 650541

Last edited:
I'd love to see a bobcat. We live in the midst of a freakin' wildlife menagerie - deer, coyotes, raccoons, red and grey foxes, muskrats, minks, wood chucks, rabbits and hares, beavers and otters (the otters are cool) - we see them on the property all the time.
Haven't seen a moose - or a bobcat - yet.

Anyway, what does one do about "bobcat problems"? Are they protected?

Cheers!

Last edited:
Last time I had bobcat problems, the engine spun a bearing,(faulty oil pump, thanks Caterpillar) ended up having to repower the darn thing, which was a ***** in the snow with a non-factory surplus forklift engine to boot, sure was not going to use another chinees made OEM unit.(yes, Cat made some motors in China)

Anyway, can't view PTN's pic in #17260. Says I don't have permission, must be pretty racy...

Me posting in day? blame the rain and me being stuck running quickbooks for the last two days.

I'd love to see a bobcat. We live in the midst of a freakin' wildlife menagerie - deer, coyotes, raccoons, red and grey foxes, muskrats, minks, wood chucks, rabbits and hares, beavers and otters (the otters are cool) - we see them on the property all the time.
Haven't seen a moose - or a bobcat - yet.

Anyway, what does one do about "bobcat problems"? Are they protected?

Cheers!
We have a menagerie going on too. It usually changes every 3-4 years as what we're getting overrun with and the animals get bigger. The bobcats have kind of disappeared this year. Except a couple of months ago when I drove into my driveway and noticed one had created a big den on a sandy bluff right next to the only walkway to the backyard. They're not too afraid of humans either. They're one step lower in PITA varmints than the Fisher cats.

I've also seen traces of bear on my property One sharpened it's claws on a pine next to my mailbox and I've seen tracks. Never seen it tho. We have a different understanding. I'll leave it alone if he leaves me alone. Got the robo police call today of one spotted in the neighborhood

Best wildlife are the birds tho.

That is pretty cool, back in the 80's they were considered regionally extinct in New england. Normally in nature, they are said occupy a large range per animal, but maybe they act different in the 'burbs(hell, I know I did).

Since fishers, or fishercats some of the old timers say, are pretty much very big weasels, or agile badgers, not to be taken too likely, livestock/pet wise.

I put this together ~8 years ago. The stills show coyotes working on a ~220 pound doe they brought down in the back yard one night during a wicked snow storm, and they then spent the next two weeks - even in broad daylight - taking it totally down to bone. When they were finished I took an 8 pound splitting maul to the spine in two places and the whole thing fit in a trash bag and weighed about 30 pounds tops.

The video just shows the herd on their weekly rounds. They still pour through the property every 6-7 days...

Cheers!

Fisher's are badass. One was on my front porch and I lurched forward to scare it off. It lurched at me. I turned around and went thru the garage door.

There's interesting stories about mountain lions being seen mostly in NH, vt and Western mass. They have a territory of 1000 miles. Some reports around here but Wildlife & Game says it's impossible until one was killed on RT 2 and dna proved it was a lion tagged out in Ohio I think.

Fisher's are badass. One was on my front porch and I lurched forward to scare it off. It lurched at me. I turned around and went thru the garage door.

There's interesting stories about mountain lions being seen mostly in NH, vt and Western mass. They have a territory of 1000 miles. Some reports around here but Wildlife & Game says it's impossible until one was killed on RT 2 and dna proved it was a lion tagged out in Ohio I think.

I hope some mammals are left after our species fails, and apex predators are good for ecosystem.

'Cuz I wasn't about to leave a deer skeleton laying in the yard with the grandkiddies coming over, and it wouldn't fold into the bag...

I forgot, you don't have a bobcat... seriously though, I'd have scratched a tench and covered, or use as opportunity to discuss nature if they found it. The carrion flies and burying beetles are important part of eco system, shame to starve them, never know when they will be needed to help the crows and vultures clean up,... :}

Back